Disturbing facts around the US/UK war in Iraq, as I see them.

Judge by yourself and please give me unemotional arguments and parameters
to change my view, I would be very happy it I could find comfort in the
actions now suggested by US/UK. I cannot mobilize such confidence in
Bush/Blair, that would help me to support a Gulf War II and the situation
disturbs me very much. Please try to be factual, because I will not be
convinced by name calling or non factual arguments and it will not help me.
If I could belive in something that will happen with or without my opinion,
I would sleep and feel better, if I could belive in it and that it is a
cause worth all the lifes that will be taken, innocent and not innocent.

One very positive thing that is likely to happen, regardless of war or not
war, is a mobilization of resources to produce biofuels. It would give a
tremendous boost for energy saving and alternative energy sources.
Unfortunately or maybe by design, it would also boost utilization of
nuclear and coal.

Iraq is govern by the elected Baath party and it's elected leader Saddam
Hussein. It is common opinion in the Western world that those elections was
non democratic and that it is in reality a dictatorship. It is also a
common opinion that the regime does not respect human rights and are using
violence to suppress the people. The descriptions of the ruthless regime
are probably very close to reality. Rule by terror might be correct as
description of Iraq and many other nations in the world, including the
current Israeli rule over the Palestinian territories. Some people point at
the lack of consistence in the US policies.

It is samples of that the regime protected themselves by political
executions and disappearances. The question of the many disappearances of
Kuwaiti citizens is also a very important issue. The same with Iranian
prisoners of war. It can be a very strong case for war crimes against the
Iraqi regime and its brutalities.

Iraq, because of the war with Iran and the gulf war, is a very crippled
nation. Close to 90% of the population consist of children under 16, women
and elderly. Less than 20% of the population have the rights to vote.

Iraq have suffered for more than a decade from one of the few effective
blockades in the world history. It is reports from credible international
help organizations, that the blockade have caused substantial death and
reduction of quality of life in Iraq.

Iraq does not have a history of International terrorism, compared with
other Middle East countries.

Iraq has not been proven to support or have links to International terrorism.

It is proven that Iraq have supported the Palestine people in their
uprising against the occupying Israel. Especially their financial support
of families of suicide bombers.

The majority of Iraq's WMD capabilities was delivered by US during the Iraq
- Iran conflict. Very little was a result of stand alone development in Iraq.

The Iraq - Iran war was very much induced, encouraged and directly
supported by US. Us also assisted in this war by providing military
hardware, material, chemical and biological weapons to Iraq. The war with
Iran is the only undisputable militarily conflict that Iraq had with an
other country.

All countries and International institutions agree that UN managed to
destroy 95% of all WMDs and WMD programs prior to 1998. At that junction
only 5% remained. The present discussion of WMD in Iraq concerns the
remaining 5% and what they might have produced since 1998.

Kuwait was never recognized by Iraq as a sovereign state and neighbor, they
regarded them as a renegade province. Even if the world community
recognized Kuwait as a state, it can be some understanding in that Iraq's
position of that Kuwait was an internal matter.

Iraq have the second largest known oil reserves in the world and it is
believed that they, when fully explored, will have the largest oil reserves
in the world. If US was solely to use it's own oil, the only have known oil
reserves for 10+ years (R/P value) of consumption. US have some hopes for
finding more oil in Alaska, but it is very unlikely that this will solve US
dependence of importing oil.

It is proven that the Iraqi regime have locked out US and UK oil companies
from participating or getting development contracts regarding the Iraqi oil
reserves. Contracts have been signed and approved by the Iraqi congress
with Russia and China. Contracts with France and Germany are signed and
pending approval. Contracts with Spain and other nations are under
discussions.

One very dangerous and hostile move by Iraq, was to suggest an oil blockade
to force a solution of the Israeli - Palestine conflict. They even
themselves tried to front it by closing deliveries of oil deliveries under
the food for oil program. It is after this incident that the urgency of
regime change aroused in US. An oil blockade would have disastrous effects
on the world economy and especially the US. With the strategic reserves
only haft full, US is very vulnerable. Probably the most effective WMD that
could be used.

The argument that Iraq was gassing their own people is based on an incident
during the Iraq - Iran conflict. It is not proven if it was a deliberate
gassing of Iraq or collateral damage caused by Iraq or Iran. It is clear
that it is several question marks around the statement. It is flourishing
several contra dictionary reports from people involved with the incident.

The highly emotional attempts to link Iraq to the 9/11 is in reality a
hijacking of this event for a very dubious purpose. We have to remember
that over 100 nations lost citizens. It is true that the event took place
in US and that US lost more people than any nation, but to apply this event
to propaganda against Iraq have no proven basis and show a disrespect to
all the citizens of the countries that also died in 9/11.

Iraq have in the propaganda many times been compared with Nazi Germany and
the fault of dealing with it at an early stage. A fair analysis show very
remote similarities between Iraq and the situation of Nazi Germany before
the hostilities in the 30's. This argument can actually be reversed to
describe todays US with greater parallel accuracy. This with considering
strength, real and constructed risks for terrorist attacks, homeland
security, infiltration of political analysts in FBI, right to preventing
attack, rights for the American way of life, etc. . This comment is done
without taking any position on the issues and only considers historical
similarities and how arguments can be used, it is very unlikely that US
will have a final development into a dictatorship with ambitions of world
domination. It is also very unlikely that Iraq would be allowed or have
possibilities to do that too.

In the whole flora of arguments, it is difficult to find the imminent
terrorist or military international threat or even a military threat to its
neighbors. It is very strong arguments for a peaceful disarmament process
and a peaceful regime change would probably benefit the region and the
world. It is hard to belive that any problem, other than US oil supply and
US/UK participation in oil development, would be solved with an US
occupation of Iraq against a massive world opinion. Any change of world
opinion after the fact is highly speculative and dangerous. Speculations of
that US would be a welcomed regime in Iraq, by the Iraqis or the neighbors
is also a very speculative and dangerous assumption.

Hakan

Biofuel at Journey to Forever:

Biofuels list archives:
http://archive.nnytech.net/