Free online

--------

http://www.echonet.org/

ECHO Development Notes

ISSUE 60, MAY 1998

Edited By Martin L. Price

17391 Durrance Road, North Fort Myers, FL 33917-2239
Phone: (941) 543-3246, Fax: (941) 543-5317 USA
E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Web site: http://www.echonet.org

New IPGRI Series Promotes Underutilized Crops.
The International Plant Genetic Resources Institute (IPGRI) has
published a series of books titled "Promoting the conservation and
use of underutilized and neglected crops." Each title covers a
different crop species. The purpose is "to draw attention to species
which have been neglected in a varying degree by researchers and/or
underutilized economically." As ECHO is very interested in
underexploited crops, we wrote to IPGRI and obtained copies of each
title in the series.

IPGRI is a research center dedicated to identifying and collecting
plant germplasm, conserving it, and disseminating it to researchers
developing or promoting new crops. Each book focuses on taxonomy,
origins of species, related species, and reproduction biology.
Ecology, propagation methods, cultivation, and germplasm conservation
are also covered. Because of the heavy focus on germplasm topics, the
series will not be of interest to everyone in our network. Those
trying to identify local minor crops and possibly useful wild
relatives or who have worked to introduce a specific crop will find
this series helpful.

For example, Nancy Harper in Belize wrote to ECHO regarding the
physic nut, Jatropha curcas. The physic nut is a shrub widely found
in the tropics. (It is used as a living fence and as a medicinal,
grows in arid regions, and produces a nut which when pressed yields
an oil that can be used in making soap and has been used as a diesel
substitute in small engines with some success in trials. Young leaves
of the plant may be cooked and eaten. All parts of the plant have
been used medicinally.) Most Jatropha curcas plants produce toxic
nuts. In Mexico and Central America there are types of physic nut
that are safe to eat when roasted. Nancy wanted to know if these
edible types were a different species of Jatropha and if they should
therefore propagate them by cuttings or by seed.

Using the IPGRI book on Jatropha curcas, we learned that the edible
type is probably the same species as the toxic type, and that because
it is pollinated by insects, the edible and toxic types may be able
to cross pollinate if grown in the same area. We encouraged her to
talk with local farmers, as the book seemed to indicate that in her
region the predominant Jatropha may be the non-toxic type, making
propagation by seed safe.

The series book on black nightshades, Solanum nigrum and related
species, is useful for identifying local Solanum species used as
potherbs and "huckleberries," as ten species or sub-species are
described in detail with diagrams, local names, and an identification
key. Some botanical education would be helpful in using the key. (The
genus Solanum includes tomato, pepper, potato and eggplant. It also
contains many wild relatives, some of which have food potential and
some are poisonous.)

These are the titles in print as of this time: Physic nut Jatropha
curcas L., Yam bean Pachyrhizus DC., Coriander Coriandrum sativum L.,
Hulled wheats: Proceedings of the First International Workshop on
Hulled Wheats Guizotia abyssinica (L.f.) Cass., Pili nut Canarium
ovatum Engl., Safflower Carthamus tinctorius L., Chayote Sechium
edule (Jacq.) SW., Bambara groundnut Vigna subterranea (L.) Verdc.,
Breadfruit Artocarpus altilis (Parkinson) Fosberg, Cat's whiskers
Cleome gynandra L., Tef Eragrostis tef (Zucc.) Trotter, Sago Palm
Metroxylon sagu Rottb., Oregano S., Black nightshades Solanum nigrum
L. and related species, Carob tree Ceratonia siliqua L.

IPGRI advertises that their publications are free of charge to
"institutions and libraries." We corresponded with their publications
department for clarification. Paul Stapleton, Head of the Editorial
and Publications Unit, replied "IPGRI publications are distributed
free of charge, so we aim to place them in libraries and institutions
so that their potential readership is maximized. We do not want them
to be read by one person, then filed on a bookshelf and forgotten."
However, "if the organization is going to use the information to
benefit workers in the area, they can have as many copies of our
material as needed. IPGRI is eager to disseminate its information
where it can do the most good, and that is why we maintain our free
distribution policy. Some workers can easily show that they have a
need for a personal copy, such as laboratory researchers, university
professors, extension agents, etc., and we gladly supply those."

If your organization is able to make use of one of the titles listed
above or would like to know of IPGRI's many other titles related to
germplasm conservation and breeding, write to: Paul Stapleton; Head
Editorial and Publications Unit; Documentation, Information and
Training Group; International Plant Genetic Resources Institute; Via
delle Sette Chiese 142, 00145 Rome, Italy; phone 33-6-51892233,
e-mail [EMAIL PROTECTED], fax 33-6-5750309; home page
http://www.cgiar.org/ipgri

http://www.ipgri.cgiar.org/publications/pubfile+.asp?ID_PUB=161
IPGRI Publication : Physic nut Jatropha curcas L.

Physic nut
Jatropha curcas L.

Promoting the conservation and use of underutilized and neglected crops. 1.

This tropical crop is native to Mexico and Central America, but is
cultivated in many other Latin American, Asian and African countries
as a hedge. It has become of interest to various development agencies
because it adapts well to semiarid marginal sites, its oil can be
processed for use as a diesel fuel and it can be used for erosion
control. This monograph has chapters covering the following aspects
of J. curcas: names of the species and taxonomy; botanical
description; origin and centre of diversity; properties (toxicology);
uses (whole plant and food/fodder, medicine, plant protectant and
molluscicide, technical uses, diesel fuel and other uses); genetic
resources (existing genetic variation, conservation); breeding
(objectives, method and selection based on provenance trials);
production areas; ecology; agronomy (growth and development,
propagation methods and pests and diseases); limitations of the crop;
prospects; and research needs. There are appendices listing (I)
research contacts, centres of crop research, breeding and plant
genetic resources of physic nut and (II) publications of Proyecto
Biomasa, DINOT/UNI, Nicaragua.

© CAB ABSTRACTS, CAB International

Authors: Joachim Heller
Year: 1996