Hello all

It seems obvious that organic farms should be producing their own
renewable fuel and energy rather than using fossil fuels, but I think very
few of them do so, at least in the industrialised countries.

It's only a matter of time before locavore-style green consumers who buy
their produce start asking embarrassing questions about that, if they
aren't asking already - that's the way the dots connect.

Here at the Biofuel list we made the connection between biofuels and
organic farming seven years ago, they're part of the same picture. But the
Biofuel list an exception.

Elsewhere, biofuels have become separated from sustainability issues, and
shoved aside, especially in sustainable farming, largely because of all
the bad press in the last couple of years over the food vs fuels fracas
and the confusion of biofuels with Agrofuels.

Typically, even before all the fuss over food vs fuel started, one of the
sustainable agriculture leading lights announced at a sust-ag list that
he'd done a lot of research on biofuels issues and had put it all on a web
page as a convenient resource for sust-ag people. He started off by
quoting Professor David Pimentel on ethanol, and it didn't get any better
after that.

Yet any researcher can easily establish that Pimentel's data is wrong.
Pimentel knows it's wrong, yet he keeps on and on using it. More here:
http://journeytoforever.org/ethanol_energy.html
Is ethanol energy-efficient?

And here:
http://www.mail-archive.com/search?q=Pimentel&[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Pimentel

But people believe him anyway. For some reason they want to believe him.

This organic disconnect needs fixing, though I'm not sure how.

We often get emails at Journey to Forever from farmers, I got one today, I
get quite a few like this:

>Been studing the website and gathering up parts to make my first test
batch.  Also finding parts to build a 5 gallon mini-processor once I am
satisfied with the test batches...
>Went to town today and bought 5 gallons of new vegetable oil to start
experimenting with, hopefully things work out.  The fuel prices here in
North Dakota are out of control, for a couple days this fall during
harvest I couldn't get fuel to finish with the corn harvest.  So its time
to start being self-reliant.
>Thanks for the website, its amazing how much good information is here.

I don't think he's an organic farmer, it sounded more like the usual
chemicalised GMO monocrop for ADM or Cargill. Maybe not though.

Anyway now he's on the road to making biodiesel. Since it's allegedly a
sustainable and renewable fuel, it might set him to thinking about a few
other things, as it often tends to do. He might stumble on some of the
other good information at the Journey to Forever website and discover
sustainable farming there too.

There aren't too many web resources that cover both subjects. Most
biofuels sites ignore sustainable farming, though if the crops aren't
sustainably grown it won't be sustainable fuel, as they usually claim. And
at sustainable farming sites they hate biofuels.

One result of the split:

>... "We don't have much sympathy for the Americans griping about their
gas prices, I'm afraid," says Ruth Bridger with the British Automobile
Association.

>The prices here are so high, farmer Todd Cameron-Clarke is worried. He
logs 600 miles a week, taking his organic meat to market.

>"It's horrific," he says. "You're finding now we're having to increase
our prices to try and maintain the same margins we had last week."

-- From "Think you overpay for gas in the U.S.?"
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12598777/

How much fossil-fuel does Todd Cameron-Clarke use to run his organic farm,
one wonders. Shouldn't it be none at all?

This is what Jonathan Dimbleby, the president of the Soil Association, the
original organic farming association and Britain's largest organic
certifiers, told Reuters about biofuels:

>Dimbleby also expressed reservations about biofuels, particularly the
rapid expansion of the use of maize in the United States for ethanol
production.

>"I think it is quite disturbing in the US that a huge proportion of the
land is given out to biofuels. I think it is an avoidance of the problem
(caused by diminishing oil supplies)," he said.

>Dimbleby said biofuels might have a role to play in some parts of the
world, adding: "I just don't think we should be carried away."

-- From "INTERVIEW - Organic Farming Seen Here to Stay"
http://www.planetark.com/dailynewsstory.cfm/newsid/40019/story.htm

He hasn't figured out the difference yet between Agrofuels and biofuels.

Again, Agrofuels are the same as all agribusiness crops, industrialised
monocrops that guzzle fossil-fuels, spew out greenhouse gases, wreck the
environment and are unsustainable in every way.

Biofuels are essentially local, small and beautiful. Like organic farms.

You'd think Mr Dimbleby should know that by now. But he's far from the
only one who should know it but doesn't.

Meanwhile Misha Gale-Sinex was complaining about it last week at SANET,
the Sustainable Agriculture Network Discussion Group:

>>Conference planners can "offset" carbon emissions by buying into
sustainable energy programs, see for example
<http://www.davidsuzuki.org/Climate_Change/What_You_Can_Do/carbon_neutral.asp>

>It's a bit of a greenwashed approach I suppose, like a tobacco company
giving money to a cancer ward -- but it's a start.

>It's a start that the organic farming and sustainable agriculture
movements haven't even begun to make.

Enviro David Suzuki's What_You_Can_Do page proposes wind and solar, but
not biofuels.

I posted this here 10 days ago:

http://www.mail-archive.com/biofuel@sustainablelists.org/msg71468.html
[Biofuel] Post Carbon Institute "energy farms"

... and asked: "Any comments on their energy farms?"

There weren't any comments, but maybe that's because there wasn't anything
there that looked much like an energy farm either. Pathetic.

Then there are the "Dream Farms" Dr Mae-Wan Ho writes about at the
Institute of Science in Society in the UK (ISIS), designed by a retired
environmental engineer from Mauritius named Professor George Chan.

Eg.:

http://www.i-sis.org.uk/DreamFarm.php
Dream Farms

http://www.i-sis.org.uk/DreamFarm2.php
Dream Farm 2 - Story So Far

Solar, wind, biogas. Frankly it's half-assed, lots of us here at the
Biofuel list could do a lot better than that, and some of us are doing a
lot better than that.

But ISIS is one of the many greenie groups who've been yelling that
biofuels is worse than fossil fuel / will starve millions of poor people /
is a crime against humanity and so on. Which might all be true of
Agrofuels, but how could it possibly apply to biofuels produced and used
onsite by a small organic farm, which is what Dream Farms are supposed to
be?

But in her articles about Dream Farms Mae-Wan Ho spends as much time
trashing biofuels as extolling the virtues of biogas.

Whence all this anti-biofuels rage? Check it out:

http://snipurl.com/1vbf1
Google Results 1 - 2 of 2 from i-sis.org.uk for pimentel

David Pimentel again, along with his more recent sidekick Tad Patzek, just
a couple of discredited Big Oil shills.

Regarding wind and solar and so on, a friend noted recently: "Things like
solar energy are likely to be under big business control for a while
anyway: I can't make CIGS based thin-film solar panels or fuel cells in my
kitchen. Therefore individual interest in it will mostly be restricted to
the curiosity of a consumer of big business products."

Not Appropriate Technology, in other words. Of course there's an important
place for wind and solar, but maybe not as the mainstay for organic farms
and Dream Farms of the Future. Wind and solar are not a substitute for
biofuels.

Biogas is just fine, but it's not a substitute for biofuels either, they
should be complementary. And no, the sludge is not a great organic
fertiliser as alleged - it does indeed contain what agribiz corporations
call fertilisers, or "nutrients", and indeed they're in an organic form,
but it'll kill all your earthworms, for starters, if you've got any, and
the anaerobic digestion process doesn't cut off the pathogens. The sludge
has to be hot-composted first.

But, from the Dream Farms link above: "Chan further dismisses the practice
of composting nutrient-rich livestock wastes, for this ends up with a
low-quality fertilizer that has lost ammonia and nitrite," writes Mae-Wan
Ho.

:-) Yet she says it's an organic farm. She writes and talks a lot about
organic farming, but she doesn't seem to know what it is.

Chan isn't a farmer, and he knows nothing about applying animals to the
land - in his system the livestock is in feedlots, pens, ponds. Chan calls
his system the "Integrated Food and Waste Management System (IFWMS)",
based on fish-farming in China. Actually any properly run mixed farm is an
integrated food and waste management system. Mae-Wan Ho also isn't a
farmer, she's a biochemist. And actually there is no Dream Farm yet,
Mae-Wan Ho is still planning the prototype in England.

I don't think we can pin our hopes on Dream Farms.

About the compost, it's often been found that compost with low Nitrogen,
Phosphorus and Potassium content (NPK) can result in bigger crop yields
than compost containing more NPK. Not always though. It's a meaningless
indicator, soil fertility and plant growth just don't work that way, as
real organic growers know. Anyway, if you make it properly compost can end
up having 25% more N than it started off with, if you care a lot about N.

We're just completing the three-year project we've been doing here
developing a new micro-ley farming system. It's been most successful, with
more benefits than we'd hoped for.

This is a real innovation, a true organic farming system that produces
large quantities of both meat and vegetable crops from a very small piece
of land (700 sq metres), very adaptible and easily scaled up or down. You
can eat meat every day if you want, with a net gain in soil fertility (and
carbon sequestered) with every meal.

Most of our farm equipment runs on biodiesel. Our TownAce van hasn't been
to a gas station for five years, at least not for fuel, and we always have
some biodiesel to spare for other people, or even lots to spare. The
biodiesel is top-quality fuel made in a 90-litre processor that cost $100
and stands in a corner of the farmhouse kitchen. Anyone can do that.

We could have included ethanol and biogas in the system, they fit in
easily and naturally, but there's no need to prove anything with
small-scale ethanol and biogas, it's done already, and we didn't really
have the time. Easy enough to set it up if we have to.

This is a real dream farm, and it's not just a dream, it works. There's
something about it here, though it's much more advanced than that now:
http://www.mail-archive.com/biofuel@sustainablelists.org/msg62619.html
Re: [Biofuel] More Gardening News - micro ley farming

It's a whole new section coming at the Journey to Forever website, and it
will pull a lot of things together.

There's another disconnect in organic farming, not unrelated, the myth of
sustainable vegetarianism. It goes something like this: instead of the
immense waste of feeding mountains of grain to livestock for meat
production the grain should be fed to hungry people, livestock farming
should be eradicated, and that will solve the world hunger problem.

But it's not because there's a shortage of food that a billion people are
starving, and attempts to solve the problem by providing more food usually
end up making it worse. See, eg.:
Community development - poverty and hunger
http://journeytoforever.org/community2.html

And there's no way of maintaining soil fertility without animals. Nature
never attempts it, and no vegetarian farming system has ever survived,
while all the traditional farming systems that have proved sustainable
include livestock, and meat-eating.

There's certainly nothing sustainable about raising livestock the
industrialised agriculture way, in CAFOs - Concentrated Animal Feeding
Operations - but that's a different matter.

Anyway, back to the myth. Add Agrofuels to the equation, especially fuel
ethanol, and instead of food that should be destined for the mouths of the
hungry getting guzzled by livestock, now it's also getting guzzled by
SUVs. Fill 'er up at the gas pump and starve three 3rd World children, or
something like that.

This is an important part of David Pimentel's anti-ethanol propaganda -
that distilling fuel ethanol from corn is an unethical use of food "needed
to sustain human life" and "to reduce malnutrition and starvation".

Andres Yver, doing ley farming in Argentina, having discovered it at the
Biofuel list (it was the lost half of organic farming until we rescued
it), said here a couple of years ago: "Ley farming does not work without
farm animals. I have come to believe it is the only sustainable way to
farm on a large scale." (And on the small scale too, as we've been proving
here in Japan.)

Quite a few vegetarians on the list have come to the same conclusion -
sustainable farming means farming with animals. See, eg:
http://www.mail-archive.com/biofuel@sustainablelists.org/msg58252.html
Re: [Biofuel] New question on oil seed crops and ley farming
Ken Dunn, 11/28/05

In the US and elsewhere, CSA farms (Community Supported Agriculture) tend
to focus on vegetables. But the organic farms they're modelled on don't,
they're mixed farms. Trauger Groh, the German Biodynamic farmer who
founded the first CSA in the US, said "A farm is not a farm without
animals."

Sally Fallon at the Weston A. Price Foundation says CSA farms are "the
paradigm of the future", and I agree. She also thinks they need animals.

She reports a poll of CSA customers in the US: the biggest demand wasn't
for vegetables, it was for raw dairy products, followed by pasture-raised
eggs, chicken, beef, pork, and veal.

That was a big surprise for the farmers, though it shouldn't have been.
But too many well-meaning people think veggies are greener, or that
they're the only thing that's green. It seems the customers know better.

I wonder what would be the result if a CSA poll included the option of
weekly supplies of biodiesel. I think the answer to that might also come
as a big surprise to a lot of farmers.

I'd like to ask that question at some sustainability forum or other, but I
can't think of one where I might get an answer, or won't get involved in a
ridiculous row.

>From a sideshow during one such crazed row, it turned out that soils
scientist Dr Eliane Ingham of soilfoodweb.com, much revered by sustainable
farming folk, especially in the US, thinks biodiesel is made by
fermentation in an anaerobic digester. :-(

The only place I know where these things can be discussed as if they might
have something to do with each other is here at the Biofuel list.

I've more or less given up discussing biofuels or food-vs-fuel at the
organics lists. Every now and then I post replies on organics or
composting and often get appreciative responses asking for more and so on,
but if somebody says biodiesel is well known for destroying engines
because it has such low lubricity and I try to correct it, or reply to
someone asking for advice on composting the glyc by-product, I get
attacked and reviled (and sod the facts). Aarghh!!! Biofuels! Sacrilege!
Blasphemy!

Another sust-ag leading light, left without any further arguments, finally
admitted he just hated the idea of having biofuels at his organic farm, as
if I were proposing he should grow Starlink GMO corn and use paraquat or
something. It's an emotional response, knee-jerk, not rational, and it
bears the tell-tale signs of opinion implants - they've been spun.

What a mess.

So it seems David Pimentel has won, for all his falsified data. He seems
to have managed to do organic farming more harm than the arch anti-organic
attack dog Dennis Avery of the Hudson Institute ever managed to do.

But it wasn't Pimentel's plan to wreck organics, it was to stop ethanol,
but industrial-scale fuel ethanol development did anything but stop, it
took no notice of him and boomed. Some people just can't get anything
right.

Meanwhile D-I-Y homebrew biodiesel goes from strength to strength as ever,
immune to the likes of Pimentel and Avery.

But these wider issues should concern us.

JtF's page on ethanol efficiency and Pimentel does get around, such as
this blog:

http://snipurl.com/1vd9u
over the cliff, onto the rocks.: Debunking David Pimentel

But then he goes and says: "Only a tiny fraction of it [US corn] ends up
nourishing the bodies of starving children in third world countries. If
you truly care about the children, you'll become a vegan and a
teetotaller."

Huh? He got the first sentence from JtF, but not the second one. Pimentel
got him anyway. :-(

David Blume's new book "Alcohol Can Be a Gas - Fueling an Ethanol
Revolution for the 21st Century", devotes a whole Appendix to setting
matters straight about Pimentel's long-running anti-ethanol disinformation
campaign. It's the best and most thorough debunking yet. See next post.

David Blume is an organic farmer, yet somehow his crops don't shrivel up
and die just because he makes Aarghh!!! biofuels! on the premises, just
like ours don't either.

He told me his book is "destined to be considered the bible of small to
medium scale alcohol production", and I thought uh-huh, heard that before.
 But he wasn't boasting, it's excellent - thorough, detailed and
up-to-date, and it covers the whole field, subject and the context,
including nuts-and-bolts how-to's on all aspects of distillation, as well
as handling the co-products. He's been working with small-scale ethanol
for decades and the experience shows. I'll post a review of the book soon,
it's well worth getting. From here:
http://permaculture.com/

I reckon biofuellers should oppose Agrofuels like everyone else does, for
the same reasons we oppose industrial agriculture, among others. And try
to explain the difference while we're at it.

Best

Keith