Hi, Francis-

I'm going to munge 2 emails here, pardon me...

Francis Hemsher wrote:

| The MobiusPortal ViewPort creates SVG elements and attaches
| data to them. MobiusPortal hosts, and publishes, the
| resultant SVG drawings on the internet. It is intended to
| show dynamic changes to the image elements over space and time.

I looked at the public part of what you're doing (I didn't apply for the
beta program, being too busy to really dedicate time to it). I'm not sure I
understand your business model, but I do think the application is a neat
idea (if I understand it). It strikes me a bit like Corel's Smart Graphics
server from a few years back (sucks that never got out of beta); is that a
fair characterization? It seems like you are allowing people to create/reuse
graphics, then tie certain portions of them into live data feeds.

I haven't seen your IDE itself, but I can tell you my one major criticism of
Corel's SGS: it was hard to use; the mapping of images to data sources was
unintuitive. If you have solved that, then kudos.

I'm assuming that you are using get/postURL to sync up to the server, in
some sort of poll/pull arrangement. You show a mobile device, though, and
talk about it using ASV. Have you talked to any mobile viewer implementors
(BitFlash has scripting; does it have post/getURL?) about the possiblity of
syncing up data? That would be really exciting.

| The ViewPort uses its own flavor of XML/SVG. However, your
| drawing source is fully exposed as a stand-alone SVG document.
| It can be used and modified, as such, for other applications.

I'm a little confused by your terminology. You're overloading the term
viewport, I guess, to mean your clientside app? I associate it, in SVG, with
the current extent and dimensions of the image view. Nothing wrong there, I
just think you might rethink the name. But perhaps you are marketting it to
non-techies, in which case, the don't know the other meaning of the word. ;)

You say that you're using your own flavor of XML/SVG. If all you mean by
that is that you are placing custom metadata (perhaps in the <metadata> tag)
in your SVG, I think that's selling your app short. There's nothing wrong
with mixing SVG with data from other namespaces (in fact, I'd say that's one
thing about SVG that's very right). So as long as you're producing valid
SVG, I would refrain from accusing yourself of using proprietary code; after
all, if it displays in conforming viewers, you aren't locking people into
your custom format, which is a concern for many people.

Good luck with your project/product. The graphics look really slick, and I
personally think the idea is a winner. I'd be interested to see a demo and
some sample output.

BTW, where can I get an SVG-capable watch like that? *That* would be really
cool... Especially with wireless capability... Let me know when you start
selling those. :)

Regards-
Doug

doug . schepers  @ vectoreal.com
www.vectoreal.com ...for scalable solutions.

href="http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12hjem163/M=362329.6886308.7839368.1510227/D=groups/S=1706030389:TM/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1123453231/A=2894321/R=0/SIG=11dvsfulr/*http://youthnoise.com/page.php?page_id=1992
">Fair play? Video games influencing politics. Click and talk back!</a>.</font>