Hi Andrew
a_matseevsky wrote:

>It is not the first time when I'm trying to explain: there is no way
to create perfect raster to vector converter (conversion from JPG to
SVG is in fact this op) without advanced gradient fills support.
Linear, radial and meshes-based methods are too primitive. Visit
http://www.smartfills  and download SVSViewer.zip. This prog
contents some image files. These files has been created with my
converter, what converts raster images to something like SVG files.
Actually, theses files with SVS extension content set of records,
what could be included into SVG too (this is why I name my vectors
SVS- something as close to SVG as possible). Currently I'm trying to
enhance conversion algorithm and structure of SVS files too: I see,
that there are some things, what could be done better. But, even
current state of advanced gradients fill shows enough clear, how
flexible and impressive SVG graphic could be.
P.S. If someone wants to play with my converter a little, let me know

Yes, I wondered if you had seen the things about "diffusion curves" introduced
at this year's SIGGraph.
http://artis.imag.fr/Publications/2008/OBWBTS08/diffusion_curves.pdf . It was
presented by some folks from INRIA, Grenoble U, U of Washington and  Adobe.
They seem to be talking about much the same thing as what you have been talking
about and have similar observations about the limitations of more "primitive"
gradients. It starts with a cubic bezier and then allows color gradients on
either side, together with a set of blur control points that control the
transitions between the two halves. They also have come up with a way of
computing all this in a practical way, that looks very promising. A brief demo
can be seen at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEVe7vU5WiU .

The work certainly reminded me of what you've been working with for some years
now, though it may in fact be a quite distinct approach.

Regards
David