Running into various troubles [1,2] with feDisplacement for an upcoming
presentation, I tried to simplify down to bare bones:

http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/svg/newstuff/gradientFilter1.svg

Interestingly FF4 and Safari do not seem to attempt the displacement, while
Chrome tries it (rather wrongly) when the file is locally served. No pair of
browsers seem to agree on how the gradient inside the ellipse should be
rendered, and most troublingly, IE/ASV and Opera differ both in terms of that
gradient but also apparently in terms of the magnitude and positioning of the
deformation.

Opera misses the stroke around the ellipse which makes me think IE/ASV may have
it right, but does it? High values of deformation seem to coincide there with
peaks in the underlying chroma as one would expect.

cheers
David