  From: Jacob Beard
  To: svg-developers
  Sent: Tuesday, September 21, 2010 3:02 PM
  Subject: [svg-developers] animating path data with SMIL

  Hi,

  Is it possible to animate path data using SMIL? For example, if I have
  a simple arc:

  <path d="M0,400 A100,100 0 1,1 800,400"/>

  And would like to animate the endpoint, so that it starts at 0,0 and
  ends at 800,400 over a duration of 3 seconds, for example. Because "d"
  contains path data, and not simple numerical values, it's not clear to
  me whether the path data can be animated with SMIL. It seems like, in
  order to animate path data with SMIL, you might need an expanded path
  data syntax, like that described in Section 3.1 of the paper
  "Compressing SVG with EXI" from the SVG Open 2010 conference, as this
  gives you elements for each path segment, each of which has simple
  numerical attributes that could potentially be animated:
  http://svgopen.org/2010/papers/3-Compressing_SVG_with_EXI/index.html

  But perhaps I'm missing something, and it is currently possible to
  animate path data with SMIL.

  If anyone has any insight into this, I'd appreciate it if you could
  let me know. Thanks,

  Jake