I'm hoping to be able to create something for this. I've therefore
been thinking a lot about the suitability of SVG for browser game
development. It seems like SVG already includes many features that
would be relevant to game development, including good authoring tools
(inkscape, illustrator), resolution-independence, pretty good
libraries to abstract out low-level manipulations (jQuery SVG,
Raphael), high-level features for animation (SMIL), and high-level
features for "skinning" maps and environments (CSS).

However, I think SVG is not at the level of a full-featured game
engine. For example, it lacks native facilities for collision
detection (SVGSVGElement.checkIntersection is often not sufficient as
it is based on an object's bbox, rather than checking for actual
intersection, i.e. of two bezier curves). There are probably other
salient game-oriented features missing, but I'm not an expert in game
development, and so these will probably only occur to me once I've
started programming.

I think the big win for this competition will be the development of
reusable game engine components built on top of SVG. I've already seen
a few for Canvas[0][1][3] which seem quite promising, but none yet for
SVG.

Jake

[0] http://www.lukewallin.co.uk/?go=engine
[1] http://mccormick.cx/projects/jsGameSoup/