I don't have first-hand experience with this, but I think if you develop
an application based around UIWebView
<http://www.iphonesdkarticles.com/2008/08/uiwebview-tutorial.html>,
you'll have access to all of the APIs which mobile Safari gives you,
including SVG and SMIL. To that end, a framework like PhoneGap
<http://www.phonegap.com/> might be useful to you. My understanding is
PhoneGap exposes APIs native to the development platform to the an HTML
renderer context, which on the iPhone would be UIWebView.

I'd be interested to hear your experiences if end up trying this out.

Cheers,

Jake