Back some time ago, there was discussion
(http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/svg-developers/message/59832 [1]
) about making brick patterns in SVG, with perspective.

        I don't recall all of the discussion that ensued, but here's a
solution using :

        http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/svg/replicate/repRectsGrad2g.svg
[2]

        It seems to work in all browsers and has just six SVG objects
(including the  and , but not counting the  and its stops).

        So in addition to solving the problems of gradients that are neither
radial nor linear, and patterns that are non-rectilinear,  also solves
the problem of non-affine transforms! It would seem to solve most of
the extant limitations of SVG, with the exceptions of inter-object
relations (graph theory), and funky font issues! Well one day, it
will be there!

        Basically two quadlrilateral s, one slanting left and the other
slanting right are interpolated, modifying their gradients as we go,
and then we can replicate backwards by modifying the transform/scale.
Quite simple, yes?

        Some of our recent experiments with  for building textures (like
landscapes and northern lights) can be seen here:

        http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/svg/SVGOpen2010/replicate.htm
[3]

        In a couple of them, I replicated an object, found the feTurbulence
that was filling it and then modified its baseFrequency so that
objects in the background would have finer grain than those in the
foreground. Makes me wish we had an option to automatically clip a
filter to the shape to which it is applied without having to build a
separate clipPath that clips the filtered shape to its outline! My
wish list is now up to 139 things!

        cheers

        David

Links: