Sujana's suggestion did not work for me either.

I managed to get around the problem but placing the svg in an svg file
(mysvg.svg) and then including it in my html file:

<object data="mysvg.svg" type="image/svg+xml" width="1200" height="800">
<embed src="mysvg.svg" type="image/svg+xml" width="1200" height="800"/>
</object>

The above worked on Chrome, FF, Safari, and Opera.

Best,

Helen