Well, my company is keeping the project hidden from the public for now, but
progress has been good. I've run into some problems, which I've figured out, or
made work-arounds for. One thing I found out was that the iPhone's javascript
engine is veeeerrryyy sloooowwwwww. And so that means I had to avoid using any
big javascript loops for generating dynamic svg elements, as much as possible.
What takes about 1 second for a regular desktop computer browser to loop
through, can take an eternity on the iphone (well, several seconds anyways).
Pre-digested, easy to swallow, bites of svg code needs to be spoon fed to the
iphone, through carefully controlled ajax calls.

The map is quite "slippy" now, and very responsive on the iphone. Now I need to
add more details to the map, depending on zoom level, and add some mouseup
interactivity, which will bring up dialog boxes and menus, depending on what
hex or planet you click on.