It should be easier than that. I don't have a machine to test this on right
now, but offhand three things that should work:

1) Embed the SVG using the 'object' tag and set the page meta tag for
X-UA-Compatible to something earlier than IE9 mode. Or use the developer
toolbar to trigger an earlier mode.

2) Again with the 'object' tag, explicitly specify the CLSID of the ASV instead
of just type="image/svg+xml". You could also use the deprecated image/svg-xml,
but that's a hack...

3) Install the ASV after IE9 and double-click the .svg file.

If this doesn't work let me know. Out of curiosity I'd be interested in
learning about the text alignment issues you encountered.

- Tony Schreiner [MSFT]