I'd like to create SVG charts from a database app. However, I know nothing
about creating SVG, so I'd like to start with an editor, if I can find one.
This should ideally let me -

1 - place a zoom control in the image
2 - place a pan control in the image
3 - do various things on mouseovers - pop up a data box, highlight chart points
4 - create scatter and time-line charts from my own dataset, with legends,
axes, and so on.

The idea is that, once I get a basic template from the editor, I can write C
code to directly generate the SVG.

I've spent hours looking, and I can't find any commercial or free apps that can
do anything like this. Have I missed something? It seems that SVG editor
development stopped several years ago, and various editors have been
discontinued. I can't even find example SVG code that does anything similar to
this.

In fact, the more I read the more it seems that I need to do this in
JavaScript, rather than directly creating images. Any thoughts?

Thanks -

Al