Hi Doug,

On Wed, 05 Jun 2013 02:57:42 -0400
Doug Schepers <d...@schepers.cc> wrote:

> Hi, folks-
>
> Some of you may remember me, though I haven't been very active in
> this list for a while. I work for W3C, I'm on the SVG Working Group,
> and I've been developing SVG apps and docs since about 2000 (though
> I'm a little rusty with development :D). I'm writing today to mention
> a proposal for the SVG 2 spec, and to solicit feedback.
>
> Over the years, I've spoken to many people who use SVG, and one of
> the pain points they remark on is wrapping text (aka multi-line text
> or flowing text).
>
> For a while now, we've planned to allow text wrapping into arbitrary
> shapes, most recently as part of the CSS regions, exclusions, and
> shapes specs. But those might take a while.
>
> In the short term, I think there's room for simple text wrapping
> based on CSS's box model. Effectively, by providing a width to a
> <text> element in SVG, it would wrap the text to that width.

Definitely agreed.

> I think this is a pretty simple proposal, and it could be implemented
> fairly quickly after being specced out in SVG 2.

The proposal looks quite good as a starting point. I can imagine it
being extended unnecessarily before actually being added. But that may
just be because I'm cynical.

> You can read more about my rough proposal here:
> * http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/wiki/Proposals/Wrapping_Text
> * http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2013Jun/0007.html
> * http://schepers.cc/its-a-wrap
> * http://schepers.cc/svg/text/text-wrap-width.svg
> * http://schepers.cc/svg/text/text-wrap-width-tspan.svg
>
> As regular users of SVG, I'd like to know if there are any
> considerations we should take into account, if you feel this would
> meet your needs for use in SVG, or if you have any concerns.

What you've proposed would handle every case I can think of where I
have personally needed text wrapping. I don't do really fancy SVG, but
the proposal would solve the problems I've had.

G. Wade
--
Systems develop goals of their own the instant they come into being.
                                                        -- John Gall