On Friday 26 May 2006 01:11, David Patrick wrote:
> Environment: SuSE 10.1 and I installed using RPMs. This is the first time
> I've invoked webswamp (localhost:8080/webswamp) so Tomcat is trying to
> compile the .java files. In the log file I get the following message which
> eventually causes the "modern compiler" message:
> ---------------------------------
> java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
> org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.batch.Main not found in
> gnu.gcj.runtime.SystemClassLoader{urls=[file:/usr/
> lib/jvm/java/lib/tools.jar,file:/usr/share/tomcat5/bin/bootstrap.jar,file:/
>usr/share/tomcat5/bin/commons-logging-api.jar,file:/usr/share/java/
> mx4j/mx4j-tools-1.1.1.jar,file:/usr/share/java/mx4j/mx4j-jmx-1.1.1.jar,file
>:/usr/share/java/mx4j/mx4j-actions-1.1.1.jar,file:/usr/share/java/m
> x4j/mx4j-jmx.jar], parent=gnu.gcj.runtime.ExtensionClassLoader{urls=[],
> parent=null}} ----------------------------------
>
> I believe the missing class is in the org.eclipse.jdt.core_3.1.1.jar
> archive but I don't know what I need to do to make that .jar visible to
> jasper at runtime.
>
> Alternatively, what must I run to compile all the .java files in the
> background before trying the application?

Hi.
Is this a final 10.1 or a beta/RC version?
This was a known bug which was resolved quite late and occured when using gcj
java.
For tomcat5 I suggest you install a SUN SDK, as our current JDK (gcj OSS Java)
is not running smoothlessly on 10.1.
The repository for SUN Java for 10.1 is:
http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/SL-10.1/non-oss-inst-source/
Be sure to set SUN Java afterwards as your default Java, see:

http://en.opensuse.org/Java#Switching_between_two_different_Java_JREs_or_SDKs

Regards,
Daniel