I went to the Classic Gaming Expo in Vegas in August. There were tons of 'famous' people there, including Activision's founders, almost a dozen Blue Sky Rangers (Intellivision programmers), Nolan Bushnell (founder of Atari and Chuck E Cheese, among other things). They all gave 1-2 hour 'lectures' where they told stories etc about the 'good ol days' and took questions, and afterwards they gladly autographed stuff people had brought.

So since you ask, I think it would be cool to have something like that for vintage computer games. I'd love to meet some of the authors myself, and hear some of their stories first hand instead of reading about it in some book. As far as I know there isn't a meeting like this that I know of. I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I'd be willing to fly halfway around the country to attend something like that (especially if it was in a cool place, like the CGExpo was). As a bonus some of us could meet each other in person too. Just a thought..

As for your actual question, personally I wouldn't place a big value on autographed games compared to non-autographed ones. In fact I'm not sure if I'd want them defacing my game :) I did manage to track down Don Worth, author of Beneath Apple Manor, if anyone wants to contact him (want yours signed Tom?)

John Romero wrote:
I have an interesting question for you guys....

Would you consigder a classic game more valuable if it was signed by the
author?

If so, and you'd like your classic Apple II games signed, I might know
where the author is and could persuade him to sign em. :)

I have a few old Apple II games signed by their authors and I've gotten
some nice reactions from them....

- john

The goal of the works of a genius' existance lies only in itself.

-- ------------------------------------------------------------ Howard Feldman Author of the Search for Freedom Computer Role-Playing Game Visit its homepage at: http://bioinfo.mshri.on.ca/people/feldman