Stephane Racle wrote:
We have a similar issue here in Canada as anything that comes in with a value of more than CAN $20 (or CAN $60 if it's declared as a gift) is taxed at 15%. I've actually had items shipped to me where the seller had

Don't forget the $5 'processing fee'. On a $20 item, this can be painful.

declared a higher value than the eBay auction value, thinking it made no difference. So now I always indicate in my e-mails that it's important that the declared value not be higher than the final auction value. If the seller chooses to put a lower value on it, then great, but as long as it's no higher than the actual auction value, I can't really complain about it. If it's a traded item, then I will ask for a low value since no money has changed hands. Otherwise, I can kind of understand that it doesn't look good on you to ask the seller to be dishonest. Still, the guy does sound somewhat over the top.

Personally, I like to think the gov't are the criminals here ;) I mean sheesh, trying to collect sales tax on used items, thats like taxing things I buy at a garage sale! (Which by the way, you are supposed to, but they have no way to enforce it of course). I always ask on items over $10 US for them to put value $10 or less if they can, but no one's ever freaked out on me. Some have occasionally refused, especially if its a business. As long as there's no sales receipt inside, I don't see the big deal though, no one can prove anything, and customs has better things to do, like stopping terrorists ;p