Thanks Dan. Yes, it appears that it is what is going on. A bit strange
though in my case, because i have a very simple svg that simply draws an
"arrow" as a polygon with three vertices:

<svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg";>
    <polygon fill="black" points="-5,-2.5 5,-2.5 0,2.5" />
</svg>

So, in the case above, there is no distinct sprite child to manipulate.

But swfmill still generates a Sprite that contains a Sprite (with runtime
property referencing it) that contains the actual shape graphics. And since
it generates a property with random name like "id*******" (7 random digits
for asterisks), it is also difficult to write a class definition in say haXe
that will match the graphics.

I am not sure what exactly is going on...

But I can leave it be because I typed my class as "dynamic" meaning that the
extra property is not a problem now and can be added at runtime.