So the same swf is used for both playback and broadcast, or are there
two separate swfs for that?

Basically you can use the swfobject.getFlashPlayerVersion() API method (
http://code.google.com/p/swfobject/wiki/api) to get the major and minor
player version and then run some logic to:

- pass a flashvar value into a single swf to turn on or off functionality
- choose between different swfs to get embedded and shown to the user
- or invoke the expressinstall mechanism (swfobject.showExpressInstall(att,
par, replaceElemIdStr, callbackFn))

Note you can always do version detection inside your swf and show/hide
functionality (and show a "press here to upgrade to the latest Flash player
for broadcast functionality") too. Invoking ExpressInstall is pretty simple
inside a swf (as seen here:
http://code.google.com/p/swfobject/source/browse/trunk/swfobject/src/expressInstall.as)

Cheers,
Aran