There's a huge discussion going on now on ontolog with a group focused
on this. You might want to check it out.
There's a list devoted to it:
Links to archive of discussion, which is very active right now, from that page.
There's also the OBO unit ontology.
http://obofoundry.neurocommons.org/static/detail.cgi_id=unit.html
-Alan