To: "Matthias Hertzog" <m.hert...@mhs.ch>
Cc: <swi...@swinog.ch>
Sent: Friday, November 19, 2010 4:41 PM
Subject: Re: [swinog] Anyone else having strange "attachment lost" effects when delivering mails to @bluewin.ch accounts?

On 2010-11-19 16:19, Matthias Hertzog wrote:
Hi folks!

It started about 2 weeks ago with one of our clients affected. In the
meantime, the cases pile up here more and more. Some mails are completly
lost after we deliver them to the bluewin MX, others 'only' loose their
attachments. According to swisscom support, none of our mailservers are
blocked / blacklisted there.

Can you clarify, what are the source/destination IP and email pairs? Are
you sending from inside swisscom/bluewin to the SMTP servers for
bluewin.ch (you state the MX) with as source a non-swisscom/bluewin
address, or are you trying to send mail from swisscom/bluewin through
their SMTP servers from/to what address?

As a related thing, did you ask your customers if they where notified of
http://www.swisscom.ch/p25 and if that maybe is affecting delivery of
emails? It being 'transparent' and just meddling with your connection in
the middle, it might just do all kinds of weird things that nobody has a
sight on what it is doing. And, of course still no opt-out method. I
heard that you have to call techsupport, but really, I don't look
forward to hanging on a phone for hours trying to educate some layer-1
support person what email is.....

from that URL:
"This filter now also checks e-mail from free e-mail providers such as
GMX, Google Mail and Hotmail if the e-mail is sent from a Swisscom
connection"

Clearly they are doing HTTP inspection as otherwise they would not even
catch most likely a percentage of the spam being sent out over those
providers which are all HTTP based, that while SMTP is barely an option
that only few people know about...

As a solution: provide for your customers a service:
World Wide Email Delivery system

aka port 587, SSL'd with accounts on it....

Greets,
Jeroen