Dear Swinogers.

I run a couple of .com and .ch domains, which are registered via
Gandi.net

About one week ago, Gandi activated 'privacy protect' on my .com
domains, hiding all my contact data in the whois output, without me
asking them to do so. They sent an email though, that they would do
so because of the GDPR.

I asked them how GDPR entitles them to do so, in my opinion the GDPR
aims for more transparency and thus, this is contra productive.

Also, such domains usually quite quickly get a bad reputation as hiding
the whois data is something the 'bad guys' do. Also it becomes a bit
more difficult, to verify if a domain is legit or not to decide upon
well crafted phishing emails. Or to contact the owner in case of
security incidents.

I told Gandi about my concerns, but only got the reply that they
were forced to hide whois contact information on all domains registered
via their service because of GDPR. Having the contact data published
now is optional and has to be activated manually by the domain owner.

This surely is not the case, as my .ch domains registered with gandi
still show my complete contact.

So I asked Gandi for how the GDPR exactly forces them to hide their
customer's whois data. I haven't got a reply to this yet.

So I wonder if somebody on this list knows the background why gandi acts
this way and if other registrars do the same.

If I get the whois data for some well known domains like:

microsoft.com
google.com
swiss.com
credit-suisse.com

NONE has 'privacy protect' activated.

Mit freundlichen Grüssen

-Benoît Panizzon-
--
I m p r o W a r e   A G    -    Leiter Commerce Kunden