More than 10 years ago Init7 unplugged from the Exchange formerly known
as TIX Telehouse Internet Exchange in Zurich.

When we decided to do this, it was evident that SwissIX was offering
much more value for money, in fact, SwissIX offered ports without
recurring monthly fees. SwissIX was completely community driven and a
lot of volunteer work made it happen. The fact of free ports made
SwissIX big in the number of participants. (Disclaimer: I was president
of the SwissIX association between 2004 and 2009).

This has changed. The SwissIX association decided to charge for ports
above 1 Gigabit a few years ago, in order to renew the infrastructure
and to pay a salary for operations (to my knowledge SwissIX pays one
part time employee). I respect that decision, while I was not supporting
it. Consequently Init7 downgraded to 1 Gigabit then and did not accept
new peers ever since.

The price for a 10 Gigabit port apparently was lowered recently to CHF
750 per month. Which sums up to CHF 9000 per year. The 2nd port is
cheaper: CHF 400 per month. Details can be found here:
https://www.swissix.ch/participation

I made a quick count of the ports and found ~100 ports with 10 Gigabit
and two 100 Gigabit ports (according to PeeringDB). Assuming that 50%
are secondary ports a quick estimate of the association revenue adds up
to this sum:

50* CHF 750  = CHF 450000
50* CHF 400  = CHF 240000
2*  CHF 2600 = CHF  62400

Total        ≃ CHF 750000 per year, not including membership fees

I suppose that this amount is sufficient to buy the complete equipment
required to operate the SwissIX peering mesh twice a year (yes, gear
gets cheaper these days; though it's an absurd example) and still
includes the salary of the one part time employee.

Since such a charging and revenue scheme is in force for several years I
suppose SwissIX has accumulated a seven-digit fortune. However it seems
that no one really knows about it, as the association of SwissIX didn't
make financial reports accessible on the website (I assume they have
been presented on the yearly General Meetings only, though it's not
possible for all association members to be part of it). So the question
remains for many of us: Where did the money go? SwissIX is hardly
visible in the international community, so I guess "money was spent for
Marketing" is not a valid answer.

SwissIX port fees are today among the most expensive in Europe (not
including any membership fees), and all of these Exchanges are way
bigger in terms of traffic and marketing efforts:

LINX 750£ + 424£ (1st, 2nd)
AMS-IX 720€
DE-CIX - no price list published anymore, depends on your negotiation
skills...
Equinix Paris: €400
MIX Milano €750 which includes 1/3 cabinet and power

SwissIX claims to be "Not for Profit". Equinix, in contrary, is listed
on the stock market. Still, the first 10 Gigabit port on Equinix Zurich
Exchange costs CHF 400 per month and includes a cross connect. That's
about half of the cost of the Not-for-Profit SwissIX.

More than 10 years ago, Init7 unplugged from the Exchange formerly known
as TIX Telehouse Internet Exchange in Zurich. Now we are reverting this
decision, as preconditions have reverted too. Init7 has cancelled it's
membership of the SwissIX association to the end of 2018 and will unplug
the remaining 1 Gigabit port anytime soon.

We are happy to accept new peering sessions at Equinix Exchange Zurich
as long as the requirements are met (no peering with customers or
customers of customers). We are also happy to accept new PNI peers in
any common location, if resources are available. Please send inquiries
to peering at init7 dot net.

Happy Peering and good luck, SwissIX.

PS. some useful URLs:

History of SwissIX: https://www.swissix.ch/about