Hi Richard et al.,

So sorry for the glacially slow reply. I'm not sure about the header
idea. I haven't given it much thought, to be honest.

I did want say, "Yes! Exactly!" to you saying, "the schema didn't even
come close to fitting dcterms" because in integrating Dataverse (my
side) and Open Journal Systems (their side) we agreed upon what I've
been calling "the XML attribute" hack to pack more (desperately
needed) information into a dcterms XML element.

This is best illustrated by example, I believe.

Sure we support run-of-the-mill dcterms elements like this...

   <dcterms:title>Roasting at Home</dcterms:title>
   <dcterms:creator>Peets, John</dcterms:creator>
   <dcterms:creator>Stumptown, Jane</dcterms:creator>
   <dcterms:publisher>Coffee Bean State University</dcterms:publisher>

... but in order to get the article citation from OJS into Dataverse,
we special case the "dcterms:isReferencedBy" element, allowing OJS to
put extra XML attributes (DDI stuff like holdingsURI, agency, and
IDNo) into the XML element like this:

   <dcterms:isReferencedBy
holdingsURI="http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/dvn333"; agency="DOI"
       IDNo="10.1038/dvn333">Peets, J., &amp; Stumptown, J. (2013).
Roasting at Home. New England Journal of Coffee, 3(1),
22-34.</dcterms:isReferencedBy>

It gets the job done AND I just learned today at
http://irclog.iq.harvard.edu/dvn/2014-05-01#i_8982 that OJS got this
"hack" merged into the PHP bindings for SWORD in this pull request:

Allow attributes on dcterms elements in Atom entries by jwhitney ·
Pull Request #6 · swordapp/swordappv2-php-library -
https://github.com/swordapp/swordappv2-php-library/pull/6

So maybe we (Dataverse and OJS) are not so off the mark with this...
"interpretation" of SWORD... but I certainly feel like this isn't in
the official spec and I don't know if this sort of thing is supported
in any other client or server libraries.

Phew! Glad to get that off my chest! :)

Phil