On 23/02/11 11:37, David Tarrant wrote:
> In simple terms yes, however because both the repository and client
> can be in control of an object then it is actually a lot more
> complex!
>
> Plus you have missed some obvious things, like the fact that people
> don't know, and don't care what a sword endpoint in, they just want
> to deposit.
I agree that **PEOPLE** just want to deposit, however **SYSTEMS** need
to work out where that is :)

> ** conversation one **
 > C: Hello URL (any URL in the repo), I've been
> told I can POST something at you
>
> S: Yes here is a link rel="SWORD" from which you can get more
> description or if you are lazy here is a link rel="SWORDDeposit"
> which you can just use to deposit directly into
>
> Client then picks a URL (either involving the user or not, i would
> recommend not unless the user is a power user, and yes I'm taking
> about you Ian)
The issue is that the repository probably has a number of places the
user could deposit into.
EPrints is simple, it is either "Inbox", "Review", or possibly "Archive"
DSpace is much more complex, with a raft of "collections" the user could
deposit into.

> ** concersation two ** C: Hello SWORD here is an object and some
> authentication details S: Ok i've done that, the object is at this
> "Location" - (HTTP HEADER)
"object" - needs to be defined

> C:Hello server i'd like to modify the metadata "edit-uri" relating to
> this record A: OK done OR not a chance, the repository has taken
> control of this record muhahahaha
"modify the metadata" - needs to be collected.... into an agreed package

> C: Hello server I'd like to modify the content of this item
> "edit-media" URI A: As above
(as above)

> C: Hello server I have a replacement package for this old one
> "Location" URI from before. A: OK
(as above)

> Now some valuable stuff to user which Ian doesn't care about cos he
> loves packaging.
I'm not sure I "love" packaging.... I just think its a important part -
heck. an integral part - of the overall conversation.

> C: I have a new file which I want to add to a new object in the
> repository, can you please give me a container to put this in (done
> with an empty atom entry POST) A: Yes, here is the Location URI for
> your object and the edit and edit-media URI.
Returns URIs, no problem with that.....

> C: Thank-you, now here is the file to go in the edit-media
> "container" A: Here is the "Location" of that file
No problem with a single file.

> C: Here is another file A: Here is the "Location" of that on
No problem with a single file.

> C: Here is another file A: Here is the "Location" of that on
No problem with a single file.
.... can you send two+ files?

> C; Delete file 2 (DELETE to location of file 2) A: Done
No problem...

> C: Can you give me a list of the media please "GET edit-media URI
> Accept Atom Feed" A: Sure here you go
"media" = "files".... no problem: a list of URIs to files

> C: Here is some metadata describing this object (PUT to edit URI) A:
> Thank you
"some metadata" - needs packaged

> C: Can you give me a report on location X (any of the above), e.g.
> MD5sums, last changed headers, or atom entry etc A: Sure
agreed package of data returned.... but that's a sword-level issue I guess

> C: File 1 has change, can you update it please A: Done
combination of PUT + DELETE from above.... no problem

> C: Metadata has change can you update it please, A: Not on this URI
> but here is the URI of a new object which is a more recent version of
> the one you gave me previously
Pass-by-reference - URI to a package of data

Every time we talk about transferring metadata from A to B, there needs
to be an agreement what the fields are, and how they relate to what's in
*your* repository.

This is not a SWORD issue, directly.... however it *is* an issue SWORD
needs to address: if we can't transfer data in a uniform manner, then
the uniform transport mechanism is going to flounder.

--

Ian Stuart.
Developer: Open Access Repository Junction and OpenDepot.org

http://edina.ac.uk/

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.