I have no idea about the automake issues.

You could alternatively try with CMake.

Install cmake (apt install cmake), and then:

mkdir build

cd build

cmake <sword-source-dir>

make

make install

Best regards,
Tobias

On 11/6/23 8:45 PM, Peter Von Kaehne wrote:
Am trying after far too many years to get myself up to speed with CrossWire and
hopefully back to contributing. Of course lots is rusty

And lots does not work for me...

I am on Debian (Unstable). I have downloaded sword via SVN and wanted to
compile it.

./autogen.sh makes numerous complaints about a missing subdir option,
usrinst.sh fails subsequently with a message around CLUCENE2

Checking online this appears to have to do with gettext - but I have it
installed.

./configure: line 17649: syntax error near unexpected token `CLUCENE2,'
./configure: line 17649: `PKG_CHECK_MODULES(CLUCENE2, libclucene-core >=
2.3,,true)'

I have of course clucene including its development files.

I would be grateful for some handholding here.

Thanks!

Peter