I'm able to use bot.editor, and that's what most of the tests that we
use at work use, all the time. The SWTBotEclipseEditor.findEditors()
is more like convenience API which is used internally. I'm not sure
how and why I marked it public.

Clearly this could be a bug in SWTBot. Could you provide more
information as to what's happening, along with some stacktrace on the
bugzilla (bugs.swtbot.org) ? Stuff I can reproduce would be useful.

-- Ketan