UOW Philosophy and UOW's Narrative Practices in Therapy Initiative are hosting
a two-day workshop on Phenomenology, Narrative, and the Philosophy of Medicine,
February 22-23. All are welcome to join us.

Phenomenological and narrative approaches to health and illness focus on the
subjective experience of well-being, and the ways in which illnesses and their
treatments can impact on self-experience. Such accounts raise a variety of
philosophical questions. To what extent can features of phenomenology and
narrative be used to characterise different disorders? What problems do we face
in relying on such first-person accounts, and what insights can we gain? Can
such characterisations be integrated with naturalistic accounts of health and
illness? How should we understand the role of phenomenology and narrative in
treatment, as in Narrative Therapy?

This workshop will examine the role of phenomenological and narrative
approaches across a range of cases. The goal is to develop a clearer account of
the distinctive character of such approaches, the philosophical challenges they
face, and the increased understanding they might provide.

All talks will be held in building 25, room 150 on the University of
Wollongong's main campus. For a campus map, go to:

http://www.uow.edu.au/about/campusmap/index.html

Program

Wednesday, February 22nd

13:00-14:30 Shaun Gallagher (Memphis/UOW), "Empathy: Pain, trial and
tribulation"
14:30-15:30 Philip Gerrans (Adelaide), "Keeping reality at bay, the role of
narrative in mental health"
15:30-16:00 Coffee/Tea
16:00-17:00 Jeanette Kennett (Macquarie), "Narrative and agency in addiction"

Thursday, February 23rd

10:30-11:30 Marc Slors (Radboud), "Bodily continuity, narrative
autobiographical coherence and therapy"
11:30-12:30 Dominic Murphy (Sydney), "Can the sea eagle make you sick?"
12:30-14:30 Lunch
14:30-15:30 Jonathan Cole (Poole General Hospital, UK), "Narrative approaches
to neurological impairment"
15:30-16:30 Roundtable discussion on the role of phenomenology and narrative in
medicine: Claire Hooker (Sydney), Jonathan Cole (Poole General Hospital), Shaun
Gallagher (Memphis/UOW)

Registration is free. To register, please contact Patrick McGivern at
patri...@uow.edu.au

?

--
Dr. Patrick McGivern
Senior Lecturer in Philosophy, University of Wollongong

p: +61 2 4221 5676
e: patri...@uow.edu.au
w: https://uow.academia.edu/PatrickMcGivern/

---------
SydPhil mailing list

To unsubscribe, change your membership options, find answers to common
problems, or visit our online archives, please go to the list information page: