What should we do about animal dissent in research?

Jane Johnson (MQ)

Date: Tuesday, 2nd of May
Time: 13:00 - 14:00
Venue: W6A 708, Macquarie University

If an individual expresses dissent in the context of research, this is
generally taken to mean they are not required to participate. However in the
case of experimentation on nonhuman animals, their dissent is almost always
ignored. I want to suggest there are 3 types of reasons why we should not
routinely ignore animal dissent in research. These are practical,
epistemological and ethical. If these sorts of reasons push us to seriously
consider an animal’s dissent, what follows from this? I propose researchers
have a number of options available to them in the face of dissent – to override
it, to train animals in such a way as to circumvent their potential dissent, or
to alter research to be responsive to dissent. I argue that only this last
option has the potential to address all the types of reasons that motivate us
to take dissent seriously, but would come at the cost of requiring a radical
reshaping of the practice of animal research.

Contact: Adam Hochman (adam.hoch...@mq.edu.au<mailto:adam.hoch...@mq.edu.au>)
or Mike Olson (michael.ol...@mq.edu.au<mailto:michael.ol...@mq.edu.au>)

A google calendar with details of other events in this series is available for
viewing and subscription by following this link:
goo.gl/3Iu7hk<https://goo.gl/3Iu7hk>

---

Adam Hochman
Lecturer in Philosophy & Macquarie University Research Fellow

Department of Philosophy | W6A, Room 733
Macquarie University, NSW 2109, Australia

Staff Profile |
http://www.mq.edu.au/about_us/faculties_and_departments/faculty_of_arts/department_of_philosophy/staff/adam_hochman/

Academia.edu Page | https://mq.academia.edu/AdamHochman

Philpapers Page | http://philpapers.org/profile/48626

Personal Website | adamhochman.com

T: +61 2 9850 8859<tel:%2B61%202%209850%206895>  |
arts.mq.edu.au<http://arts.mq.edu.au/><http://arts.mq.edu.au/><http://mq.edu.au/>

[Macquarie University]<http://mq.edu.au/>

---------
SydPhil mailing list

To unsubscribe, change your membership options, find answers to common
problems, or visit our online archives, please go to the list information page: