Dear all, this current Thursday’s current projects seminar (the Muniment room,
3.00) will be Luke Barnes giving the following paper:

Title: Fine-Tuning and probability

Abstract: My work as a cosmologist has touched on an interesting philosophical
problem, on that has been discussed in the philosophical literature.
Fine-tuning in physics and cosmology is often used as evidence that a theory is
incomplete. Of particular interest is the fine-tuning of the universe for life,
which suggests that our universe’s ability to create physical life forms is
improbable and in need of explanation by, perhaps, a multiverse. This claim has
been challenged on the grounds that the relevant probability measure cannot be
justified because it cannot be normalized, and so small probabilities cannot be
inferred. I will discuss how fine-tuning can be formulated within the context
of Bayesian theory testing (or model selection) in the physical sciences, and
how normalizability problems might be avoided.

All welcome

Associate Professor Kristie Miller
Senior ARC Research Fellow
Joint Director, the Centre for Time
School of Philosophical and Historical Inquiry and
The Centre for Time
The University of Sydney
Sydney Australia
Room S212, A 14

kmil...@usyd.edu.au
kristie_mil...@yahoo.com
Ph: +612 9036 9663
http://www.kristiemiller.net/KristieMiller2/Home_Page.html

---------
SydPhil mailing list

To unsubscribe, change your membership options, find answers to common
problems, or visit our online archives, please go to the list information page: