[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/377ed99b00666e1febb7dbbc0/images/4fed6c6d-233b-48a1-a3f9-8d84bd306ae5.jpg]

SCHOOL OF HISTORY AND PHILOSOPHY OF SCIENCE
RESEARCH SEMINAR
SEMESTER ONE 2022
MONDAY 4TH APRIL 2022
FROM 5:30PM

Location:
Zoom:
F23 Michael Spence Building, Level 5, Room 501
https://uni-sydney.zoom.us/j/86947851186

[https://mcusercontent.com/377ed99b00666e1febb7dbbc0/images/f45b8026-6854-410e-42ae-41e662dc33d8.png]
MITCHELL GIBBS
FIRST NATIONS KNOWLEDGE OF SHELLFISH IN AUSTRALIA

Abstract: Throughout the world, there has been increasing recognition of the
importance of Traditional Ecological Knowledge (TEK), held by First Nations
peoples, and its incorporation in shellfish aquaculture and coastal management.
In Australia, however, this understanding and incorporation of First Nations
TEK of shellfish aquaculture and coastal management is in its infancy. In
contrast to Australia, in Aotearoa (New Zealand), there is a rich history of
knowledge of shellfish, understanding of cultural practices and the use of
stories and ancestral sayings. We reviewed the current state of incorporation
of TEK of shellfish in both Australia and Aotearoa. We find that TEK in
Aotearoa has improved aquaculture and provides evidence of the value of
incorporating TEK in the production of shellfish. We are only now just
beginning the journey in Australia to understand and document TEK and practices
held by First Nations people. Aotearoa provides valuable lessons on the
importance of TEK and guidance for the respectful incorporation of TEK into
shellfish aquaculture and coastal management in Australia. If we are to
appropriately restore and manage our coasts, then we need to incorporate First
Nations Australians knowledge, and respect and protect their connections to
traditional sea management.

WHEN:  MONDAY 4TH APRIL 2022
START:   5.30PM
Location:
Zoom:
F23 Michael Spence Building, Level 1, Room 501
https://uni-sydney.zoom.us/j/86947851186
All Welcome | No Booking Required | Free
Copyright © *2016* *HPS,  All rights reserved.

You can update your preferences<*|UPDATE_PROFILE|*> or unsubscribe from this
list<*|UNSUB|*>

---------
SydPhil mailing list

To unsubscribe, change your membership options, find answers to common
problems, or visit our online archives, please go to the list information page: