Hi everyone,

This week’s speaker in the University of Sydney Philosophy Seminar Series is
Clas Weber (University of Western Australia).

The title of Clas’s talk is “Determinacy of the Self and Imagination from the
Inside”. Here’s the abstract for Clas’s talk:

The persistence of ordinary objects allows for indeterminacy. There is a strong
intuition that our own persistence in contrast has to be determinate. The
determinacy intuition conflicts with a commonsense view of human persons. In
this talk, I offer an account of the source of the determinacy intuition which
grounds it in the special character of first-person imagination. In short, we
are inclined to believe that our persistence must be determinate because we
cannot imagine indeterminate survival from the first-person perspective. I then
explore the implications of this account for the metaphysics of the self. I
make the case that indeterminate survival may be a genuine possibility for us
in spite of our inability to imagine it from the inside. Hence, the account
proposed here allows us to debunk the intuition and maintain a commonsense view
of ourselves.

The talk will take place on Wednesday the 26th of April at 3:30 p.m. over Zoom
(Clas will be presenting from Western Australia) in the Philosophy Seminar Room
(N494) in the Quadrangle. Participations are welcome to either join in person
or over Zoom (https://uni-sydney.zoom.us/j/88699564848).

There will be no after-seminar events this week.

Enquiries about the seminar series can be directed to
ryan....@sydney.edu.au<mailto:ryan....@sydney.edu.au>

Ryan Cox
Associate Lecturer in Philosophy
Discipline of Philosophy
School of Humanities
University of Sydney
ryan....@sydney.edu.au<mailto:ryan....@sydney.edu.au>

---------
SydPhil mailing list

To unsubscribe, change your membership options, find answers to common
problems, or visit our online archives, please go to the list information page: