School of History and Philosophy of Science

RESEARCH SEMINAR

[The University of Sydney]

[https://d31hzlhk6di2h5.cloudfront.net/20230502/5f/8b/ee/ea/5196bd2348f4f9aaffcfa684_688x656.png]

Who’s afraid of nutritionism?

Jonathan Sholl (USYD)

Dates: Monday, 8/5/2023

Time: 5:30pm
Venue: F10A, Law Building Annex, Level 4, Room 446
How to register: Free, no registration required
Zoom Link:
https://uni-sydney.zoom.us/j/85722285732<https://t.e2ma.net/click/cbi3yu/gqotwlab/kln0ive>

Abstract: Various scientists and philosophers have heavily criticized what they
see as problematic forms of ‘nutritional reductionism’ or ‘nutritionism’
whereby studying food-health interactions at the level of isolated food
components produces largely misguided science and misleading interpretations.
However, the exact target of this criticism remains elusive, and its
implications are overstated, which may hinder scientific understanding. In this
talk based on joint work, after presenting the key problems raised by these
critiques, we disentangle types of reductionism and antireductionist claims to
better determine what the debate is about and to propose ways to move it
forward. We then present a qualified defense of the reductionist program that
hinges on the ability to identify nutritional causes that make a difference.
This defense is taken further by using insights from the philosophy of
mechanisms to analyze how the field of nutritional ecology offers a synthetic
framework to explain and test predictions about nutrient-organism interactions,
which is premised on the biological mechanisms of nutrient-specific appetite
regulation. The result is a strategic form of reductionism that avoids many,
though perhaps not all, of the challenges raised by antireductionists, while
further highlighting the potential of reductionism to identify nutritional
difference makers. This project is co-written with David Raubenheimer.

Bio: Jonathan is an associate professor in the philosophy of medical sciences
at Université de Bordeaux. He received his PhD in philosophy from KU Leuven in
Belgium before having positions as a post-doc researcher at KU Leuven
(researching medical sociology), as assistant professor of medical philosophy
at Aarhus University (Denmark), and as post-doc researcher at Bordeaux
(researching cancer and nutrition). As a visiting researcher at Sydney, he is
focusing his attention on developing a research program around a philosophy of
the nutrition sciences – with an emphasis on nutritional ecology – while also
exploring questions within philosophy of medicine, such as the naturalization
of health.

.

Link to Zoom<https://t.e2ma.net/click/cbi3yu/gqotwlab/0do0ive>

[https://images.e2ma.net/0/images/templates/spacer.gif]

[The University of Sydney]

Keep in touch

[Facebook]<https://t.e2ma.net/click/cbi3yu/gqotwlab/g6o0ive>

[Twitter]<https://t.e2ma.net/click/cbi3yu/gqotwlab/wyp0ive>

[Instagram]<https://t.e2ma.net/click/cbi3yu/gqotwlab/crq0ive>

[LinkedIn]<https://t.e2ma.net/click/cbi3yu/gqotwlab/sjr0ive>

[YouTube]<https://t.e2ma.net/click/cbi3yu/gqotwlab/8bs0ive>

Copyright © 2023 The University of Sydney, NSW 2006 Australia
Phone +61 2 9351 2222 ABN 15 211 513 464 CRICOS Number: 00026A

Please add hps.ad...@sydney.edu.au<mailto:hps.ad...@sydney.edu.au> to your
address book or senders safe list to make sure you continue to see our emails
in the future.

Manage<https://app.e2ma.net/app2/audience/signup/1976084/1957350/1250997734/79067148774/?s=f4fVgSDLYXr4ynM9yNzBNCbZ6KNVHBiQSM7Bu53nEWE>
 your preferences | Opt
out<https://t.e2ma.net/optout/cbi3yu/gqotwlab?s=Y0-8krqloxxluZ38skjQj9Pg2HnkZTb2550hbvc2Mhc>
 using TrueRemove®
Got this as a forward? Sign
up<https://app.e2ma.net/app2/audience/signup/1976084/1957350.1250997734> to
receive our future emails.
View this email online<https://t.e2ma.net/message/cbi3yu/gqotwlab>.

Disclaimer<https://t.e2ma.net/click/cbi3yu/gqotwlab/o4s0ive> | Privacy
statement<https://t.e2ma.net/click/cbi3yu/gqotwlab/4wt0ive> | University of
Sydney<https://t.e2ma.net/click/cbi3yu/gqotwlab/kpu0ive>

---------
SydPhil mailing list

To unsubscribe, change your membership options, find answers to common
problems, or visit our online archives, please go to the list information page: