Hi everyone,

This week’s speaker in the University of Sydney Philosophy Seminar Series is
Alex Horne (Sydney).

The title of Alex’s talk is “The Self-improvement machine”. Here’s the abstract
for the talk:

Suppose that in the not-too-distant future, scientists invented a
self-improvement machine. The machine adds a chip into your brain which
contains lots of new information and helps you conform more readily with the
norms of epistemic and practical rationality. As a result of the procedure,
many of your priorities, interests, values and tastes are quite different from
what they were before entering the machine. Despite the obvious benefits, I am
reluctant to step into the self-improvement machine. That is, I am reluctant to
risk losing my present attachments, values, preferences and desires even where
I know that losing them in the machine meant they were irrational. This sounds
odd and yet, I suspect I am not alone in feeling a degree of disquiet at the
prospect of undergoing such a procedure. My hunch is that exploring the source
of this disquiet can help us better understand the relationships between
agency, identity, morality and self-improvement of the more “organic” variety.

The talk will take place on Wednesday the 6th of September at 3:30 p.m. in the
Philosophy Seminar Room (N494) in the Quadrangle and will be simulcast via
Zoom: https://uni-sydney.zoom.us/j/88699564848.

The talk will be followed by drinks and informal discussion at a nearby venue.
All welcome!

Enquiries about the seminar series can be directed to
ryan....@sydney.edu.au<mailto:ryan....@sydney.edu.au>

Ryan Cox
Associate Lecturer in Philosophy
Discipline of Philosophy
School of Humanities
University of Sydney
ryan....@sydney.edu.au<mailto:ryan....@sydney.edu.au>

---------
SydPhil mailing list

To unsubscribe, change your membership options, find answers to common
problems, or visit our online archives, please go to the list information page: