School of History and Philosophy of Science
RESEARCH SEMINAR
[The University of Sydney]
[https://d31hzlhk6di2h5.cloudfront.net/20240226/cb/75/e2/c4/b84bae4efd3f95e0a8dd36fd_360x512.png]
The Liar paradox, the halting problem and the edge of chaos
Mikhail Prokopenko (USyd)

Dates: Monday, 04/03/2024
Time: 5:30pm
Venue: New Law (F10), Level 3, Seminar Room 344
How to register: Free, no registration required

Abstract: We will explore several fundamental relations between formal systems,
algorithms, and dynamical systems, focussing on the roles of self-reference and
computational undecidability. This comparative analysis will emphasise three
factors: (i) the program-data duality; (ii) the potential to access an infinite
computational medium; and (iii) the ability to implement negation. Importantly,
the program-data duality requires that a computational agent must be able to
store and process encoded information, as well as create self-referential
meta-level simulations. Finally, within Gödel – Turing – Post framework, we
will argue that undecidability leads to novelty generation, via the emergence
of functional self-descriptions across major transitions: genetic, linguistic
and cultural.

Bio: Prof. Mikhail Prokopenko leads the Centre for Complex Systems at the
University of Sydney. He holds PhD in Computer Science, MA in Economics, and
MSc in Applied Mathematics. Mikhail has a strong international reputation in
modelling and simulation of complex self-organising systems, with over 200
publications and h-index of 43. His cross-disciplinary research in information
theory, critical phenomena and artificial intelligence has been applied to
pandemic and crisis modelling, systems biology, urban dynamics, and other
diverse areas.

[https://images.e2ma.net/0/images/templates/spacer.gif]

[The University of Sydney]
Keep in touch
[Facebook]<https://t.e2ma.net/click/gq0ayv/gqotwlab/genoyxe>
[Twitter]<https://t.e2ma.net/click/gq0ayv/gqotwlab/w6noyxe>
[Instagram]<https://t.e2ma.net/click/gq0ayv/gqotwlab/czooyxe>
[LinkedIn]<https://t.e2ma.net/click/gq0ayv/gqotwlab/srpoyxe>
[YouTube]<https://t.e2ma.net/click/gq0ayv/gqotwlab/8jqoyxe>
Copyright © 2024 The University of Sydney, NSW 2006 Australia
Phone +61 2 9351 2222 ABN 15 211 513 464 CRICOS Number: 00026A

Please add hps.ad...@sydney.edu.au to your address book or senders safe list to
make sure you continue to see our emails in the future.

Manage<https://app.e2ma.net/app2/audience/signup/1976084/1957350/1310134758/79067148774/?s=5KwSvhvPbaobMRcFb_oVQ80CutpJkgaidFXKfL4OfrA>
 your preferences | Opt
out<https://t.e2ma.net/optout/gq0ayv/gqotwlab?s=MaxVePuPl0FxUSwqnCIQwGRsjOoiKu03pl3f7J9ky60>
 using TrueRemove®
Got this as a forward? Sign
up<https://app.e2ma.net/app2/audience/signup/1976084/1957350.1310134758/> to
receive our future emails.
View this email online<https://t.e2ma.net/message/gq0ayv/gqotwlab>.

Disclaimer<https://t.e2ma.net/click/gq0ayv/gqotwlab/ocroyxe> | Privacy
statement<https://t.e2ma.net/click/gq0ayv/gqotwlab/44royxe> | University of
Sydney<https://t.e2ma.net/click/gq0ayv/gqotwlab/kxsoyxe>

---------
SydPhil mailing list

To unsubscribe, change your membership options, find answers to common
problems, or visit our online archives, please go to the list information page: