Hi, I'm very new to symfony, and just a novice developer also...
I searched in forum and documentation already and can't find the
answer (probably because it's too basic and simple :D)

Here's the case :

I have one table, 'user' to save username and password, then I want to
retrieve the data from that table and check if the submitted username
and password is right. I use a loginForm class that I write, and then
check it from the main module.. here's the code :

loginForm.class.php :
class LoginForm extends BaseForm
{
                public function configure()
                {
                        $this->setWidgets(array(
                          'NIP'      => new sfWidgetFormInputText(),
                          'password' => new sfWidgetFormInputPassword(),
                        ));

                        $this->widgetSchema->setNameFormat('login[%s]');

                        $this->setValidators(array(
                          'NIP'      => new sfValidatorString(array('required'
=> true)),
                          'password' => new sfValidatorString(array('required'
=> true)),
                        ));
                }
}

actions.class.php
  public function executeIndex(sfWebRequest $request)
  {
        $this->form = new LoginForm();

        if($request->isMethod('post'))
        {
                $this->form->bind($request->getParameter('login'));

                if($this->form->isValid())
                {
                        $formValue = $this->form->getValues();

                        $query = Doctrine_Query::create()
                          ->select('password')
                          ->from('pengguna')
                          ->where('pengguna.NIP = ' . $formValue['NIP'] );

                        $this->user = $query->execute();

                }
        }
  }

The code's not finished yet because I don't know how to get the value
of the query I just executed...
Things that I want to ask :
1. How to get the value (result) of $query->execute() ?
2. Are there any step by step tutorial that teaches most of these
basic things ? (I've read practical symfony and doctrine orm for php,
but I think it's too advanced for me - so many confusing things)

The main problem of those two books is that they assume you know about
doctrine ( practical symfony ) and that there's too many things that I
have to read when what I need is just a simple question.. I need
something like the PHP API documentation.. so any recommendation ?

Thanks before, and sorry for my bad english..

security at symfony-project.com