Just subclass your backendForm to frontendForm and use the new useFields method
to a few unwanted widgets and their validators. As for the password field: I
think I added a updatePasswordColumn($value) method to my form class and when
it was blank ($value === '') I returned false in this method. That way a blank
password does not override the old one. For this to work you'll need to make
both your password and your password_again optional so it doesn't give a
'Required.' error. Does this make sense?

In case you're wondering, what these update%columnName%Column method is: you
can add those to your form class and they get called when a value is changed in
the form widget so you can reformat etc. But returning false in such a method
removes the value from the cleaned values and isn't included in the update to
the database. I don't know if that's documented somewhere but it should be in
the "What's new?" documents.

Cheers, Daniel

security at symfony-project.com