The methods you suggest essentially takes care of the mass matrix
problem by solving a linear system numerically during numerical
integration.  I am familiar with tools out there that do this, but
this isn't what I'm looking to do.  I haven't seen one that is written
directly usable in Python -- do you know of one?  The netlib packages
have this capability, but I'm no Fortran programmer.

What I am interested in doing is solving the linear system
symbolically so that first order equations can be generated
symbolically and the most generic of ODE solvers will work.  This also
eliminates the iteration that is being done by the ODE solver during
time integration.

Thanks,
~Luke