I have a new theory. Mainly since I haven't found the same problem
anywhere else online.

I think that months ago I compiled syncevolution from source over
the .deb that had previously been installed.  When the .deb got updated,
it updated most things but may not have overwritten the custom compiled
(but older) libsynthesis (or some similar library).  This led to
problems until I compiled the newer version and killed the old
libraries.

Unless we see this problem recur, I think it'd be best to just chalk it
up as a singular error on my part.

Cheers,

-martin