Bugs item #1836838, was opened at 2007-11-23 06:12
Message generated for change (Settings changed) made by dooglus
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=757416&aid=1836838&group_id=144022

not just the latest update.
Category: Usability
Group: SVN version

Initial Comment:
Importing a sif file into another canvas appears to alter its size.  E.g.
Rore's cat when opened on its own is 600wx800h, but when imported into a canvas
sized 480wx360h changes its dimensions, shrinking noticeably. I would expect
the canvas size to retain its original settings.  Is this implemented as
designed, or a bug?
See http://rore.dyndns.org/rore/synfig/grey_cat.sif and attached files.

Comment By: dooglus (dooglus)
Date: 2008-11-19 15:30

Message:
I'll close this.  It's not a bug, it's due to a misunderstanding.

Canvases aren't 200x200 pixels - that's just the size they are rendered
at.  Canvas sizes are measured in units, and are the numbers in the 'image
area' area.  'image span' is the diagonal size of the canvas.  Changing the
pixel size and resolution doesn't affect the size of the canvas, only the
number of pixels used to render it.

Comment By: dooglus (dooglus)
Date: 2008-11-14 13:53

Message:
> Importing a sif file into another canvas appears to alter its size. E.g.
> Rore's cat when opened on its own is 600wx800h, but when imported into a
> canvas sized 480wx360h changes its dimensions, shrinking noticeably.

| Check the 'Image Area' values in the properties for Rore's cat:
|   Top Left X -2.75 Y 3.67
|   Bottom Right: X 2.75 Y -3.67

| The 'canvaspastebug.sifz' file you've imported it into has these values:
|   Top Left X -3.67 2.75
|   Bottom Right: X 3.67 -2.75

| ie. it's wider and shorter than Rore's area, and so the cat doesn't
| fit in it vertically.

| The Image Size (width, height, resolution) only sets how many pixels
| are rendered.  You can play with those and the borders of the image
| won't move.  You'll just get higher and lower resolution renders.  The
| 'Image Area' defines how much of the cat is in the frame.  "Image
| Span" is simply the length of the diagonal through this Image Area.
| When editing these values, it's a good idea to uncheck all the boxes
| in the 'Other' tab first.

> I would expect the canvas size to retain its original settings. Is this
> implemented as designed, or a bug?

| If you mean the width and height in pixels, then no, they shouldn't stay
the same.

> Another case is import image files (not sif files) then I agree that
> there is a problem because the behavior is odd.

| This case should be fixed in SVN r2193.  There's a new option in the
| 'Setup' dialog to set whether or not to scale images to fit the canvas
| on import.

> The header is different of course, having different view boxes.
> But what's the canvas tag's parameter "view-box" about? It's not even
> editable from the gui, but anything else I could say here are wild
guesses,
> it's up to the real devs now to fix this :)

| "view-box" is the "Image Area" as described above.  It says which
| parts of the infinite plane are inside the canvas (in 'units').

Comment By: Daniel Hornung (rubikcube)
Date: 2008-09-18 00:13

Message:
After some discussion on irc, I am convinced that my problem is something
different, I'll open a new bug report.

Comment By: Genete (genete)
Date: 2008-09-17 17:21

Message:
I really don't see the imported sif file "shrinking noticeably". It just
keeps its resolution and is framed into a different canvas. Another case is
import image files (not sif files) then I agree that there is a problem
because the behavior is odd. But importing sif I cannot see the problem.

If the imported sif were influenced by the receiver document dimensions it
would be expected that the shrinking would be bigger when the receiver and
the imported sif were more different. That's not the case. I only see a
scale and clap of the imported sif. No deformation or shrinking.

If this is not the desired behavior (keep the original canvas size in
pixles) what should it be?.

Maybe I'm wrong but I don't see a bug here in the sif importing.

Comment By: Daniel Hornung (rubikcube)
Date: 2008-09-17 10:51

Message:
Ok, here are the three files, you could download, extract and upload them
here if you want.
http://pendelchaos.homelinux.net/crypt/tests.tar.gz

Comment By: Pixelgeek (pxegeek)
Date: 2008-09-16 04:15

Message:
rubikcube - pabs mentions that you may not be able to add files to someone
else's bug.  If you want to post them somewhere, I can add them.

Comment By: Daniel Hornung (rubikcube)
Date: 2008-09-16 00:13

Message:
Hmm, can't I add files here? If it's in the tracker settings, maybe one of
the admins should change it.  Anyway I'm all for raising priority, since
this (if I really experienced the same bug) is more than "just" a usability
bug.

Comment By: Daniel Hornung (rubikcube)
Date: 2008-09-16 00:01

Message:
I think I could reproduce this in a (nearly) minimal testcase, this only
seems to happen for encapsulated layers when pasting between images with
different view boxes set (in Edit->Properties). See the attached three sif
files:

test_plain.sif: The plain file everything is based upon: 800x600 pixels,
the image area is 13.333..units x 10 units, as expected.

test_high_span.sif: The file where the layers were copied from.  Note that
I set the image span (and thus the view box) to ~10 times the default (in
"unit"s) in the Properties dialog.  The width&height were not changed (is
this a bug as well?), they still are at 800x600 pixels.

test_pasted.sif: Used test_plain.sif and pasted the layers from
test_high_span.sif, then rescaled the bline so that it became visible
again:  Voila, the bline's width is clearly still set to 4px but appears to
be ~40px wide.

Possibly the cause of the bug can be found by a simple `diff
test_high_span.sif test_pasted.sif`:  Cutting away the unimportant parts I
get:

2,3c2,3
< <canvas version="0.5" width="800" height="600" xres="2834.645752"
yres="2834.645752" view-box="-66.666667 50.000000 66.666667 -50.000000"
antialias="1" fps="24.000" begin-time="0f" end-time="5s" bgcolor="0.500000
0.500000 0.500000 1.000000">
<   <name>Synfig Animation 3</name>
---
> <canvas version="0.5" width="800" height="600" xres="2834.645752"
yres="2834.645752" view-box="-6.666667 5.000000 6.666667 -5.000000"
antialias="1" fps="24.000" begin-time="0f" end-time="5s" bgcolor="0.500000
0.500000 0.500000 1.000000">
>   <name>Synfig Animation 1</name>
39c39
<             <canvas>
---
>             <canvas view-box="-66.666667 50.000000 66.666667
-50.000000">

Date: 2007-11-23 06:14

Message:
Logged In: YES