Hi Rainer,

Let me explain the problem I am facing as co-chair.
I don't know syslog very well.
I have lots of experience chairing, but little experience with syslog.

I have a lot of experience in writing MIBs, and rule #1 is "you need
to know what you are trying to model before you can model it in a
MIB." But the WG does not seem to have consensus on what it is that we
need to model.

Glenn designed a MIB module that appears more complex than is needed.
He models multiple entities in a system. I don't know what "entity" he
is referring to. Maybe he is talking about multiple applications on a
Windows box, each with its own syslog stack. Maybe he is talking about
multiple software applications that all go through the same daemon.
Maybe he is trying to cover both using the same model. I am trying to
understand what Glenn has modeled and why, but I don't.

Only one person has provided a review of the mib document from the
syslog standpoint - Tom. But Tom talks about syslogd and devices, and
he doesn't seem to have knowledge of non-UNIX configurations. And I
cannot understand how Tom's model maps to the terminology and
architecture of the protocol doc or to Glenn's mib.

When we have only two people, and they have totally different
understandings of what we need to model, we cannot very well achieve
consensus.

As co-chairs, Chris and I need to try to understand what each is
saying, and where the disconnect exists. Unfortunately, the
terminology and architectural concepts are so muddled, I cannot tell
what each person is saying clearly. We have not provided unambiguous
terminology that allows us to clarify the discussion. When  Tom says
application and Glenn says application, I cannot tell if they are
referring to the same thing or totally different concepts. But
"application" is at the core of all our definitions.

Maybe we don't need all the complexity of Glenn's MIB. Maybe a MIB
like the one Tom asked for would be fully adequate for fault,
performance, and configuration monitoring. I just don't know. If we
define a simple MIB that only works for some use cases but not others,
then we lose interoperability if we have to define another MIB for
different use cases.

*********
Additional syslog voices would be tremendously helpful in determining
this.
*********

Have YOU reviewed the mib document?
Is the complex design that Glenn used appropriate?
Is the simple design that Tom would prefer enough?
Would the counters in Glenn's MIB be useful to understand the
operation of the two syslog implementations that you work on?
Would the configuration information in Glenn's MIB be useful to
understand the operation of the two syslog implementations that you
work on?

How about the other implementers? How appropriate is Glenn's mib to
model your product? How appropriate is Tom's? What needs to be modeled
to make your product manageable in a vendor-neutral way?

dbh

terminology
> > and architecture are not well-understood. What can we expect when
> > people who did not help write the specification try to understand,
> > implement, and use it?
> >
> > I usually expect a specification being promoted to Proposed
Standard
> > to be clear and unambiguous, and I don't see that level of
document
> > maturity here.
>
> IMHO, the core problem is that we still do not differentiate
> between the
> software - most thinking syslogd - and the *protocol* syslog.
> It is NOT.
> If it were, the IETF would be the wrong place to standardize it.
POSIX
> would be. I still find that the protocol definitions are
> clear. I agree
> it is not unambigous how to implement different parts, but that is
not
> because of the on-the-wire architecture but because of
> existing API sets
> (and software architecture).
>
> I personally would not like to take up the challenge of
standardizing