Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2007 18:08:12 +0200
From: Magnus Westerlund <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: David Harrington <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: Chris Lonvick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Lars Eggert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: DISCUSS in draft-ietf-syslog-protocol - congenstion control (fwd)

Hi David,

I think you are missunderstanding things here. But thanks for protesting and not accepting crap. But let me make clear what I actually think is needed in regards to syslog to make it a working protocol to deploy.

First, this starts as an issue with TLS over TCP and the syslog base protocol. It can also arise teorethically for UDP, but as I understand not in practice for todays usage. When you are using TCP, in case the syslog sender generates events at an rate that is higher than available rate over the path used there will be build up of a queue. So I would like to have some words somewhere saying what you do when you build up a queue of messages that should be transmitted, but the queue simply keeps growing. What do I do? To me this situation implies that one starts discarding syslog messages and starts with the least important ones. So I would like to have a paragraph on this.

I also included UDP in this in the case that you actually have reserved or determined that syslog is allowed to use a particular amount of bandwidth, but not more. In this case it could be possible that one implements a rate limiter and run into exactly the same issue as for TCP.

Please do understand that if syslog was designed from scratch today it wouldn't get awy without a congestion control that guarantees that it isn't missbehaving in any situation. But being an "old" protocol we are accepting less than that. However, we do require it to contain the limitations and assumptions that it can be safely operated with. Using it as it currently is used is not an issue because the networks it is used in has many magnitudes more bandwidth that syslog generates. However, what would happen if some one starts using syslog in low-powered, low-bitrate sensor network for carrying some information. In that situation syslog becomes a potential threat to the stability of the network as it doesn't react at all to congestion if run over UDP. Network failures are also sitation that are problematic to ensure that the inteded resources are available. Thus we do like to protect the utility of what resources do exist.

So the repeat:

Please seriously consider adding a paragraph about how one can thinn a queue of syslog messages in the base protocol. This as I think it potentially applies to any transport.

Also consider when updating the UDP draft and adds what has been discussed with Lars, to add a single sentece with a reference the above paragraph as a method to keep the traffic within the allowed resources.

Regards

Magnus

David Harrington skrev:

 Hi Magnus,

 Syslog is a fire-and-forget protocol. We have no feedback mechanism
 that permits us to recognize congestion and rate limit traffic based
 on that feedback.

 Syslog is not a brand new protocol; it is widely used in the industry,
 and other aspects of standardization has been handled through POSIX
 and BSD standardization. The industry has expressed no interest in
 making this a two-way protocol. This protocol is widely used by
 operators, amd I have seen no demand from operators to make this a
 two-way protocol, or any demand to resolve congestion control for
 syslog, because congestion caused by syslog apparently is not a
 problem in the real world.

 We had discussion of rate-limiting during the IETF Last Call. We
 actually had suggestions for ways to rate-limit syslog in the earlier
 document, but the IETF community rejected our having that text in the
 document because syslog is a fire-and-forget protocol, so there is no
 reliable mechanism for detecting congestion. The IETF commmunity did
 not ask us to make syslog two-way, so we could add rate limiting to
 the protocol; they asked us to keep syslog working as is, and remove
 the unreliable recommendations to rate limit.

 You are placing a whole new requirement, that no implementers or
 operators are asking for, on a protocol that is already widely
 implemented and deployed. Where is the customer demand for this?

 I am concerned you might drive the syslog community to not work within
 the IETF, where they came to develop a standard message format and a
 secure transport, not to change the basic nature of the protocol.

 David Harrington
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]

--

Magnus Westerlund

IETF Transport Area Director & TSVWG Chair
Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVM/M