Hi,

We've talked about changing the TIMESTAMP and the HOSTNAME fields which
will increase them.  From that, we may be pushing the length of previously
valid messages over the 1024 byte limit.  Perhaps an explicit statement
about the length of syslog messages would be appropriate in the
syslog-sign ID?

---vvv--- Currently in Section 2 ---vvv---

   The full format of a syslog sign message seen on the wire has three
   discernible parts. The first part is called the PRI, the second part
   is the HEADER, and the third part is the MSG. The total length of
   the packet MUST be 1024 bytes or less. There is no minimum length of
   the syslog message although sending a syslog packet with no contents
   is worthless and SHOULD NOT be transmitted.

---^^^--- Currently in Section 2 ---^^^---

I believe that Eric Allman chose 1024 since that was a hardware buffer
size and blobs that fit within that space could be processed more
efficiently.  Increasing that size may be appropriate now.  We could
specify some actual maximum size of syslog packets but that might not be
appropriate for all cases.  Somehow, it just doesn't feel right to have IP
fragment syslog messages.  How about stating the the default maximum size
is 1024 bytes but that may be increased to be the MTU between the device
and the collector when using UDP?  This would cover the expansion of the
HOSTNAME and TIMESTAMP fields and allow all previously valid messages to
be sent without having something truncate it or fragment it.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Chris