Re: transit timestamps

Darren> I have one problem with this: it requires changes/additions to the
Darren> original message.  This poses some obvious problems when you start
Darren> adding MAC's of the original message, etc, to what's being sent
Darren> around.

No, it doesn't. It only requires the the information be prepended/appended
rather than inserted, and that the signatures be nested if you want the
transit information to be authenticated.

e.g.:

<log message(srchost,srctime,...,logmsg)>
<MAC(log message,Key(srchost))>
<transit(trnhost,trntime,...)>
<MAC(alloftheabove,Key(trnhost))>

I'm not sure how much value authenticating the intermediate hops has, but it
may be a good option.

--
Carson Gaspar -- [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~carson/home.html