Hi,

It appears that we have consensus to adopt a new piece of work
specifically to document the transport mapping of syslog.  This work needs
to state that the REQUIRED mapping at this time is UDP for assured
interoperability.  It needs to stay short, and to the point so it can
progress with syslog-protocol through the RFC process.  It should leave
the door wide open for other transports to be identified and it must
clearly document the security considerations of the transports.

If there is consensus in the WG after this document and syslog-protocol ID
are accepted as RFCs, then we may consider updating that RFC to include
more mappings.  The ID to which Marshall referred is Eric Rescorla's work
on Datagram Security (like SSL for UDP):
  http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-rescorla-dtls-00.txt
We can reference that as a Work In Progress at this time and (if all
proceeds smoothly) as an RFC upon the update.

An now for the really important question:  Who will volunteer to write
that ID?

Thanks,
Chris