Andrew Ross wrote:

> Having a minimum set of configuration options would probably be a waste
> of time in my view as all implementations are so different.
>
> Since all implementations use (or can be made to use) a config file, my
> vote is for a free form string variable. The format of the text depends
> on the vendor. All we need to agree on is a standard cookie to identify
> the vendor and version.

This makes sense.

If I have heard and understood correctly - we would love to have configuration
options - BUT given the diversity of the syslog implementations we do not have
one model for configuration that would allow us to develop a one-size-fits-all
MIB.
However there is the trivial model - which uses the configuration file to hide
all the implementation details. This model probably fits all implementation.

That would mean  -
     A. We remove the configuration details
     B. We introduce a configuration file object. Here we have two choices
        B-1. Just leave it at the fileName level of detail-  The fileName is
             writable
             Manager will set the syslogConf file name and expect that to
             be used. We have 1 MO in this case.
             Comment: This is simple. The manager aranges for the syslogConf
             to be present (by non-SNMP means) and just tells the syslog process
             to use the specific syslogConf file.
        B-2. Treat the file as a text file with one or more lines.
             Represent the file as a table: a row is a line.
             The semantics or syntax of the file is opaque to management process.
             It can read the file and display it on the console (using SNMP).
             For update of the file:  allow lines to be modified (using SNMP-Set)

             Comment: This is much more complex. To do this nicely we will effectively
             need a text file editor to be implemented using SNMP.

     C. At a later date, if there is interest and demand, we can have a
        BSD-Syslog configuration MIB where the parts removed from A can be
        used.
        I liked what it was doing- it is pretty good and useful when I want
        to remote-monitor (not control) the configuration of the syslog process.

Let me have your comments.

Cheers

Glenn