Rainer:

I have read the draft. Some comments here.  Lot of small ones in a
separate email I will send you directly.

1. I don't think you specified maximum message size anywhere.  Or did I
miss it?

2. You talk a lot about server parsing the syslog message. Are we making
an assumption that receiver must parse messages (for example 5th
paragraph in 4.1.1)? Generally, there seems to be a lot of stuff
dictating behavior for receiver. Why can't we just say: this is valid on
the wire, this is not and leave it up to implementation to decide what
it does with it. For example, we ask receivers to "log" diagnostic
messages.  What does "log" mean here?

3. You use enterprise ID of 0 (IETF) in examples.  Is this valid?
Should we say 0 is reserved and should never be used?  What does 0 mean?

4. Section 4.1.3.  "Any implementation MUST support free configuration
of the FACILITY on the sender."  I think by implementation you are
always assuming a dedicated sender or receiver library product.  I don't
see why I can't just implement sending logic in my app directly and not
have a fixed facility.  I think at best, this is a SHOULD.

5. Section 4.1.6 - Hostname.  So, we specify FQDN and if to present IP.
Not sure if we had a discussion on this, but did we decide to bypass
hostname?  I think it will be a common case where hostname is present,
but machine does not know its domain suffix. I would generally prefer IP
unless it is dynamic (DHCP).

6. Section 4.2.  Which version of Unicode do we support? UTF8 may
support all, but I think we should limit it to some basic Unicode
version.

7. Section 4.3.  Why do we restrict sec-frac to 3 digits?  If somebody
has better precision why not allow it?

8. Section 6.2.3.  I don't think you explain the purpose for allowing
partcount to grow.  I assume this is for streaming.  Needs to be
explained.  I also think it is a strange scheme.  Why don't you allow
incrementing it by one every time?

9. Section 7.2.  Can we use "yes" or "no" instead of "0" and "1"?

10. Section 8.1. If relay can't add structured data elements, it can't
record source IP of the message.  I think we should not lose such
information. Also, need to allow for recording of time or original
reception.

11. Section 8.3. You allow relay to break message into multiple parts.
What happens with a message that is already multi-part?  How do you
distinguish first level of fragmentation from second?

12. The ID is now 45 pages long and growing with every revision.  I
think it would help if we shortened it whenever possible.  After all it
is just a syslog protocol.  This is protocol used for troubleshooting.
It can't be itself overly complicated or give such impression.

Thanks,
Anton.