Rainer & all:

I started thinking about the best way of specifying message
fragmentation in the UDP transport layer. I don't think our present
scheme is ideal for good protocol layer isolation because it would
require transport layer to be able to parse protocol message in order
to read/modify structured content tag "msgpart".  I think it is better
if transport could deal with syslog messages as generic payload.

I propose that we stick to a definition of fragmentation in the
transport layer that is more agnostic to syslog-protocol format and
only manipulates the header.  Specifically, I propose we add a header
that mimics fragmentation fields of IP (RFC791) follows, except with
bigger field sizes:

- multi-part-flag (1 byte)
- msg-id (2 bytes)
- fragment-length (32 bytes)
- fragment-offset (32 bytes)
- more-fragments-flag (1 byte)

All in all this will be an additional 67 byte header and would enable
transferring payload of up to 4GB.  If multi-part-flag is 0, we can
omit the rest of the header.

The trickiest part is the msg-id field. I propose that we specify that
fragment reassembly is done using source IP, source port and msg-id
field. This means that we will place a restriction that each
application must send all messages using a single random exclusive
source port (no SO_REUSEADDR flag), while changing msg-id for every
message. So, msg-id only has to be unique within a given process
because each process will use a different source port.  To avoid a
problem with mix up due to port re-use with short-lived processes, I
propose that we recommend that apps start msg-id at a random number
and then increment and cycle it. This would reduce the hole to mostly
theoretical domain. The idea of using ports to identify applications
is consistent with what they were designed to accomplish in the first
place.

IPv6 includes some a separate RFC2675 for jumbo datagrams, which could
be used to transfer large packets.  But it seems they restricted it to
the networks with large MTU sizes only. I am also worried that
adoption of this standard will lag the other IPv6 standards and it
would be risky for a syslog protocol to rely on intermediary entities
supporting it. So, we probably won't be able to use it and my proposal
is to use the same mechanism for UDP/IPv4 and UDP/IPv6.

Please let me know what you think before I write it up into the draft.

Thanks,
Anton.

Gerhards
> > Subject: RE: some (well a lot ) review remarks
> >
> > Albert, Rainer, WG:
> >
> > I have not thought through all the details, but...
> >
> > I share Albert's concern about defining message length limits and
> > mandating partitioning in syslog-protocol given that it is
> supposed to
> > be transport independent.  I'd prefer if syslog-protocol was just
> > about the format and encoding of the message payload.
> Payload being a
> > complete syslog message without any transport-specific parts.
> >
> > As it stands now, syslog-transport is really about
> transferring syslog
> > message segments and not complete syslog messages.  If
> > syslog-transport does all segmentation, then it is easier
> to specify
> > how to avoid issues such as double-segmentation
> (syslog-protocol level
> > and then IP fragmentation).
> >
> > The relay provisions should probably also be specified only
> as far as
> > payload is concerned. For example in DHCP, when message
> goes through
> > relay, relay agent is allowed to insert an option specifying its
> > address as well as giaddr (the network from which request for IP
> > originated from).  So, it just specifies additional provisions for

> > payload for cases with relay agents and that's it. I think
> it will be
> > easiest if we allowed relay agent to function like any
> > syslog-transport client and re-assemble the whole message
> before doing
> > anything with it. In other words, it should work with
> syslog messages,
> > not syslog message segments.
> >
> > Just my 2 cents.
> >
> > Anton.

Unix
> [...]

> > > Currently, it is just a number. It will be unused,
> misused or will
> > > lead to a lot of (operational) management. I'm afraid for the
> > > latter, as in H4.1.3 is suggested  that the semantic of
> the Facility
> > > can be enterpriceID depended.
> > >
> > > Also, it is required to use the "IANA assigned vendor"
> number. This
> > > implies open-source/free/non-commercial are 'ruled out'
> as the often
> > > will not to so.
> > >
> > > Last, should the number of the Generator-vendor, the
> system-vendor
> > > of the device-vendor be used? (See above about
> > > generator/device) This is not clear to me. And whatever one is
> > > chosen, it will be hard to implement. Not using the
> defacto (Unix)
> > > logging api's!
> > >
> > > 413 Facility
> > > -------------
> > >
> > > Although, at first sight, liked the idea of "a terrible lot" of
> > > facilities. The current <used a number idea> is wrong, as
> I see it.
> > > Aside from the problems mentioned above, more then a million
> > > facilities will mean relays can't be managed! The set of
> facilities,
> > > which will be seen in a (major) network, expressed as
> numbers, will
> > > be are more or less at random. Which implies very long
> complex and
> > > unmanageable configfiles (or MIB's) for each LOG-router!
> > >
> > > As we heave learn form routing IPv4, hierarchical structuring is
> > > needed.
> > >
> > > I think, extending the set of facilities is good. But I can't
> > > imagine more the say 1000 are ever needed.
> > >
> > > So, my counter-proposition is:
> > >         *  Make  facilities (as a number) structured
> > >         *  Limit the number of facilities to a manageable number
> > >         *  Keep the format such that extending the
> allowed numbers
> > > is possible
> > >
> > > A Facility then is still a number, at least 3 (or 4)
> digits long. A
> > > longer number means the it is an extended facility. They
> have to be
> > > assign by IANA. Facilities of length 3 (4) MUST have the format
> > > '(K)KLM', where 'K' (or 'KK') indicated the kind of facility;
'L'
> > > give a sub indication and 'M' is
> > > *SITE* configurable (so, by the local sysadmin, see
> example below).
> > > The  'K/KK' is based on the RFC3164 facilities, clean up and
> > > extended. Those numbers can be IANA assigned. L can be
> chosen by the
> > > (generator) vendor, and `M' by the admin. 'M' defaults to
> 0 (zero),
> > > and  applications/vendors MAY give the possibility to set that
> > > digit.
> > >
> > > Example: For mail, there will be an K specified, let say
> 1. Then all
> > > mail-log will have the format '1XY', which is easily routable.
It
> [...]

> > > optional field on page 9
> > >

> > > Let give it a try ( I also use the "improvement" on the
> ABNF of my
> > > other mail; it saves typing) (Also I "forget" the SP
> parts, for now.
> > > Just the idea)
> > >
> > > SYSLOG-MSG  = HEADER DATA
> > > HEADER      = VERSIONING PRIO ID         // See other mail
> > > DATA        = [ *STR-DATA ] MSG
> > > STR-DATA    = see below
> > > MSG         = free format
> > >
> > > Given this ABNF, the structured data ALWAYS comes (in RFC3164
> > > notation) at the start of the MSG-part (of in new ABNF:
> before the
> > > free format MSG).
> > >
> > > This implies receivers always have (as last resort) the option
> > > see everything after the header as free-format. And just
> > > store/forward it. It implies the start of STR-DATA is simple to
> > > find: Its starts directly after the header, or directly after
> > > another STR-DATA
> > >
> > > This implies to, we have the option to start STR-DATA
> with '<' which
> > > is more usable and XML-alike. The complex long "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" cookie
isn't
> > > needed anymore. However, we free to use it. My personal
> vote is for
> > > the (XML) < > style.
> > >
> > > See also my other posting about details of structured-data.
> > >
> > > 6 Multi-Part Messages
> > > =====================
> > >
> > > There are some mistakes in the this part, but I like the general
> > > idea. However, I fell spliting/reassembly is done in
> other protocols
> > > too. Maybe we can use/reference a (de facto) standard? I
> don't know
> > > an RFC which we can use, but I'm sure there must be one!
> > >
> > > Second, it to complex, and to long (to read). I have
> studied it, but
> > > I'm not sure I do understand it.  Some details about which I
find
> > > hard/wrong/dislike
> > >
> > > MP-timestamp
> > > ------------
> > > I do not like having several messages having the same TIMESTAMP
> > >

> > > 62 SD-ID receiving an optional STR-DATA
> > > =======================================
> > > This must be a mistake!
> > > In the 3rd paragraph is stated the a receiver sometimes MUST NOT

> > > parse a STR-DATA of a log-message that is received. However,
when
> > > the option Multi-part is not implemented, is doesn't now this!
> > >

> > > Hello WG,
> > >
> > > This is part 2 (of 3) of my comment on the 3th
> > > draft-syslog-protocol. See the introduction at my posting
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] This
> > > one contains comment on the text of the document; to help to
> > > clarify, and shorten the document. It does NOT contain comment
on
> > > the "idea" (design); se posting [EMAIL PROTECTED]

> > > Implementation hints
> > > ====================
> > >
> > > The current RFC contains a lot of valuable hints for
programmers,
> [...]
> > > do for "short term allocation".
> > >
> > > Removing this limit, make the rdc cleaner and smaller.
> > >
> > > Structured data, spaces
> > > =======================
> > >
> > > I would like to have all line about SP (spaces) in chapter 5
> > > removed. The point about 0,1 or more spaces is not relevant. In
> > > general, syslog uses SP to separate field (when needed).
> And allows
> > > them in MSG-part. The syntax and semantics of STR-DATA is
> does not
> > > depend on the amount of space. Nor is it harder to read.
> > > Implementing receivers even become easier when spaces (in
> STR-DATA)
> > > can be skipped (while { if 'sp' then skip } ) instead of
checking
> > > the correct number, and doing something if wrong !
> > >
> > > Proposal: Allow spaces anywhere, but inside SD-ID (see note) and
> > > SD-PARAM. SP in SD-VALUE is allowed (already), but not a
> separator.
> > > Prescribe (at least 1) SP between each param-value pair.
> > >
> > > *Note: as SP between '[#@'(or '<') and the SP-ID itself
> is probably
> > > not a good idea, but not a problem. We can fix is, by moving the
> > > fixed string in the ABNF:
> > > STR-DATA    = STR-START ... STR-END
> > > STR-START   = "[#@" SD-ID   ; or '<'
> > > STR-END     = "]"           ; or '>'
> > > ...         = as before, SP are allowed.
> > >
> > > Note2: Doing so allows for format line for human reading,
> which is
> > > handy
> > > Example     <x-gam-example  doYoe="like this"  or     = "This
> > > one?"   >
> > >             <z-gam-more     Yes  = "I do"      find   = "it
> > > readable!" >
> > >
> > > This example is simple to parse, both for humans and
> computers. This
> > > change will make chapter-5 shorter, I think!
> > >
> > > Last, I think any whitespace should be allowed instead of SP
(eg.
> > TAB)
> > >
> > > Chapter-5, MSG
> > > ==============
> > >
> > > I suggest, but only as a detail, the text of chapter-5 should be
> > > part of 4.2
> > >

> > > Hello WG,
> > >
> > > This is part 3 (of 3) of my comment on the 3th
> > > draft-syslog-protocol. It only contains short remark on
> details, and
> > > bit that didn't fit in part 1 (idea/design) or part 2
> (the document
> > > itself). See posting [EMAIL PROTECTED] for more introduction

> > > 413/314 FACILITY/SEVERITY
> > > ==========================
> > >
> > > In this draft, both facility and severity are numbers.
> Even with my
> > > suggestion, the are 'just numbers'. And numbers are hard
> to read for
> > > humans. Especially when the are a lot of them. Most people will
> > > forget which column contains which number.
> > >
> > > Therefore, I think it is better to use the
> (verbose)notation used by
> > > most syslog implementations: "'<' facility '.' severity '>'"
Both
> > > facility and severity are numbers (at least in the wire).
> Collectors
> > > (viewers) can translate those numbers into there names. But
still
> > > use this format. And Even without them, it is easier to read the

> > > first (new) then the second (current) line: V1 0 <888.4>
> > > 2003-010-11T22:14:13.003Z new.Formated. ... V1 0 888 4
> > > 2003-010-11T22:14:13.003Z old.Formated. ...
> > >
> > > Note: I agree, we should not the tricky "8 times F plus
> S" notation.
> > > I'm not suggesting that! Just insert a dot and the angles.
> > >

> > > 4151 timestamp, without time
> > >
> > > There are 'devices' as meant in this section which
> haven't an idea
> > > of TIME. So it is a good idea this section.
> > >
> > > Often, those devices can store ("know") a few bit of
information.