-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Rainer Gerhards
Sent: Wednesday, 21 April 2004 9:13 p.m.
To: Anton Okmianski
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: Message size limit

Anton:

I advocated for no limit, but I sea the reasoning ;) I'd go for 24 bits,
that should be more than far enough for not only the forseeable future.
One may argue this is to much, but this has been argued so often in the
past... and prooved to be wrong. So I'd like to waste some more
bandwidth. I suggest that you use variable-length fields for your header
(ASCII digits terminated by SP) as seldomly someone will need these big
numbers.

Regarding the minimum, I also agree. I think it should be 512 (as in
DNS). We should just ensure that - if your header is added - it still
fits into the minimum MTU (which is 576 out of my head... but I may be
wrong here).

I also suggest that -protocol should say.

"Messages SHOULD be less than 1024 bytes, but MAY be as large as
16777000 bytes". I have reduced the 24 bit max by 215 bytes to take care
for your header.

I think pointing out that a the max message size should be less than 1K
could probably save us from too many "large-message-implementations".
I'd like to have people think about what they do. But maybe doing it in
the normative part is not a good idea...

Comments on this suggestion?

Rainer